[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help /o/ I'm freaking out My car just overheated really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: 1442706118288.gif (1MB, 270x180px) Image search: [Google]
1442706118288.gif
1MB, 270x180px
Help /o/ I'm freaking out

My car just overheated really bad and shut off in the middle of me driving it. It started rattling and chattering then just froze. I tried turning it it wouldn't turn I was stuck in the middle of the road.

FUCK. I opened the hood and everything smelled burnt and awful. Turns out my radiator broke at the bottom and leaked out all the water. I'm freaking out am I gonna need a new engine? It wont start and it's been an hour and it's still not starting
car is a 2011 charger r/t
>>
Yeah you're fucked. Did yiu seriouely not notice the temp gauge climbing?
>>
Sounds pretty fucked to me, warped and seized.
>>
Warped heads/block/everything else.

Source a new engine from a junkyard. Going to be the cheapest way.
>>
>>17689077
You are fucked, ontologically mate. Big time.
>>
File: 1234200749303.gif (2MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1234200749303.gif
2MB, 360x240px
>Coolant leaked out
>Still trying to fucking start it

Do you also forget how to eat?
>>
File: 1458075106029.jpg (74KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1458075106029.jpg
74KB, 720x960px
You are most likely fucked. Does the engine actually crank make sure you have enough voltage as well.
>>
File: 1492325365203.jpg (12KB, 439x222px) Image search: [Google]
1492325365203.jpg
12KB, 439x222px
It's fucked, OP.

That's what you get for not paying attention to your temp guage.

Driving an FCA product too.
>>
Damn, sorry OP.
>>
File: PATRAK.png (159KB, 344x307px) Image search: [Google]
PATRAK.png
159KB, 344x307px
>>17689140
>Make sure the car cranks

Nigger, it has no coolant. Are you just as stupid?
>>
I didn't even pay attention to my coolant gauge before but you didn't feel excessive heat coming of the transmission tunnel and firewall? I don't use AC but that shuts off to if the engine is overheating.
>>
>>17689150
>being this stupid
You can fucking run an engine without coolant it's what he fucking did. All I did was ask if the engine still cranks or is it seized.
>>
>>17689150
you can start an engine for a brief amount of time without coolant just to confirm its working. Ive seen several mechanics do this with no ill effects.
>>
>>17689077
>broke at the bottom and leaked out all the water

Red flags amigo. Flags of the color red.

Did you know about any possible damage to the radiator prior to opening the hood?

Have you ever checked the fluid levels of your radiator?

Did you know that your radiator is supposed to be filled with a synthetic fluid called "Radiator Fluid" and not "water"? Have you at any point refilled it with plain garden hose water?

Do you know what a water temperature gauge indicates? Did you know if the gauge says your water is too hot there is a problem.

Did a check engine light come on at any point. Do you know what a check engine light is and where on your dash it is located?

Did you do something to possible damage the bottom of your radiator (hit a curb, rock, ect.) and not inspect the bottom for leaks.

Did you at any point notice small accumulations of fluid under your vehicle and fail to investigate the source of these leaks and possible resulting outcomes?

Give us the real story OP. Radiators of 6 year old cars dont just fall apart at the bottom on their own. Not even from comically deplorable manufactures like Dodge. What did you do to the radiator? How long did you ignore the possible damage? And have you learned a lesson.

Please share with us the real chain of events. Random radiator failure of a structurally sound and properly installed radiator is very rare. It would have to be damaged somewhere, somehow.
>>
>>17689155
>didnt pay attention to thto the r temp gauge
Well, now you know.
>>
>>17689110
>>17689114
>>17689118
>>17689144

Even if it did go off, which it didn't, my car has a temperature warning chime and the center screen gets a big exclamation mark. It really didn't show anything, the needle on the gauge didn't even move.
>>
>>17689155
This is not the OP, he's making a comment.
And to answer you, not in my case. AC stayed on just fine. I really have no idea how it happened but I'm 100% certain there wasn't a single chime/warning light.

The car cranked and started after cooling down longer. Just checked, am I looking at fallout from this? I'm so fucking scared it's now a ticking timebomb
>>
>>17689172

You realize that sometimes such a critical/major failure can damage the engine faster than it can tell you something is wrong right?

Imagine all of your coolant is lost within a few seconds, you now have very little to no cooling capacity.

The engine is still under load and might take critical heat damage before any warnings are triggered.

Basically, everyone learn from him, check your temp guage from time to time. He would not have got a warning till it maxed or nearly maxed the gauge which at that point, it may be too late.
>>
>>17689179
>there wasn't a single chime/warning light.

Why would there be? A warning would only come on when the gauge is maxed.

At that point, critical damage may be imminent or already occurring.

Some cars survive a maxed out coolant gauge, my 3.0 ranger did but its also not a 5.7 liter highish performance engine.
>>
>>17689189
I know what you mean, and it wasn't just a maxed out coolant gauge, we're talking full engine shutdown and strong burning smell. Fucking smelled like I melted my computer
>>
>>17689172
The temp quite literally likely rose faster than the gauge could keep up resulting in what you have now. a seized engine.

This is common with total coolant loss.
>>
>>17689194
>full engine shutdown

By this do you mean "seized"?

If so then yeah, with the temps reached im sure some things got a bit scorched.

Lucky you, a 5.7 hemi isnt exactly a rare engine. Unlucky you, its still going to cost thousands.

Then again, now is the time to drop a mildly built 5.7 in so maybe not all bad.
>>
>>17689179
My 2002 x type has survived multiple maxxed out coolant gauges but has always been turned off once it has reached it. Cooling system in these are so shit hoses come off and plastic parts break. Things that happen could be loosing compression from wearing down piston rings. If you engine still runs it should be fine.
>>
>>17689167
>>17689182
>>17689189
>>17689201
TOO MUCH FUCKING REDDIT SPACING

DIE IN A FIRE REDDIT FAGGOTS
>>
>>17689218
>bests posts in the thread
>WHDUFGUIDGUIDBEIUWBFUIBWEUIBCIBDC REDDIT SPACING ENDIHENDOUENUDNIUENUIDNENIUDNUENNDUEBDUECNIENDUEHDADWDWD
We deserve alphonse.
>>
>>17689218
The fuck? You want me to type like this? No formatting? Just one long paragraph wall of text? The fuck????
>>
>>17689218
You spaced apart two sentences. It must be hard to have a brain that doesn't understand the function and reasons for paragraphs.

You do know that the rest of the word also puts line spacing between paragraphs. Reddit didn't invent that. Writers and publishers have been spacing apart paragraphs for hundreds of years before reddit.
>>
OP how did the bottom of the radiator get damaged?

Are FCA products really that shitty that the radiator just blows out the bottom after 6 years of service? I think its more likely that you damaged it somehow and didn't deal with the damage and just hopped nothing would come of it.

I am not buying the spontaneous rupture part of the story.
>>
>>17689234
Where the fuck did I say it was spontaneous? It has to be caused by something I just can't tell what. Besides, aren't you missing the point here? Either way a mechanic is looking at it now he'll tell me.
>>
>>17689246
No, I'd say he's on point, because you are a full blown retard if it's been running hot for some time and you've never noticed.
>>
Fill your radiator with water if it starts engine is ok then buy a new radiator
>>
>>17689077
Buy domestic, buy twice.
>>
>>17689257
you are the one that is retarded
>>
>>17689298
I'm not the one who destroyed his engine because he either popped his rad or was too dumb to look at temps.
>>
>>17689218
That spacing didn't come from Reddit. It existed long before computers, any computers.

You are young and stupid.
>>
>>17689259
No chance of warping or non-obvious damage? Like imminent damage? I feel like one day something will fail catastrophically..
>>
That putrid smell of burning liquids and plastic, that's what driving a dodge is all about son.
>>
>>17689077
>american cars

maybe next time youll buy a honda
>>
>>17689316
holy fucking shit i hate summer
fucking kys
>>
>>17689317
You for sure warped the heads.
>>
>>17689317
the car would shut down automatically while driving before engine damage happens the Ecu protects the engine
>>
>>17689417
Just replaced radiator and refilled coolant. Car starts and runs normally, but feels like it takes a minute to crank. So far no loss of power that I can detect. I'm so mindfucked..
>>
>>17689363

Go away 2k civic driver
>>
>>17689441
You're probably just freaking yourself out all you can do is drive it. You'll be fine.
>>
>>17689144
>2011 R/T
>FCA
>>
File: FB_IMG_1495448150821.jpg (13KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1495448150821.jpg
13KB, 480x300px
Not OP but couldn't he just get a new bottom radiator hose and some coolant and try that out first? Seems like it would be worth a try to me but admittedly I'm not an expert
>>
>>17689664
That's kinda what we did. The radiator had awful rust in the bottom that made it flake until it made a hole and leaked profusely. I don't know what else went wrong but the car feels normal now and drives just fine. Takes a while to crank for some reason but otherwise feels normal.
>>
>>17689077
>buying anything Chrysler
Hahahahaha
>>
Reminds me of this dipshit i know:
>dude has an 03 Forester (bet you know where this is going
>225k miles, totally ignorant in maintaining his car despite constant advice thrown his way
>tells me 18 months ago that his temp gauge spikes on long drives, warn him about failed headgasket(s)
>radiator cap blew off over the weekend, continued to drive car anyway
>"hurr dude that green stuff was volcanic hot, i don't know why it keeps doing this"
>finally stalls while in drive
>wants me to look at it, lol no its fucked big time
>"dude i dunno whats wrong with my car"
>>
>>17689110
Eh, it's just some shitty Chrysler product though. Not a great loss to the world.
>>
>>17689077
Serves him right, he bought a Mopar
>>
>>17689172
About all that stupid ECU is good for is controlling the injectors and ignition (and possibly shifting the autotragic) and bitching about emissions. Anything else? It's pretty much on you. Sometimes it'll catch it but sometimes as you've seen - it does not.
>>
>>17690584
>>17690575
Both 100% correct
>>
>>17689234
>Are FCA products really that shitty that the radiator just blows out the bottom after 6 years
Yes. Yes they are. Also see: Heater cores failing after 3 years of service.
>>
>>17690438
Do you live in a road salt state? Still doesn't excuse Chrysler for making such shitty cars, but still.
>>
>>17690608
yes, PA
>>
>>17689441
Often the engine will still run after getting overheated. Watch out for misfires though - means your cylinder head is most likely fucked. You'll know it by the CEL coming on or flashing at you.
>>
>>17689077

>2011 charger
>FCA

Kek. Do you enjoy Italian reliability?
>>
>>17689110
>temp gauge in coolant line
>no coolant
hmmm
>>
>>17690739
Found out why. The temp sensor also went bust, along with the thermostat. It's almost a full cooling system failure..
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.