[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How old is the car you drive and what maintenance do you need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (59KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 600x337px
I want to get an old truck from the late 80s but I hear old cars break down a lot because of age so idk if I should go through with it. I'd use it as a DD and am willing to spend money to fix it up to proper shape. Would like some insight if anyone can relate.
>>
Is your time worth anything? Can you afford to be late for work when it inevitably breaks down one morning and you have to wait for AAA on the side of the road for a couple hours?
>>
File: 20170803_205939_resized.jpg (356KB, 1498x843px) Image search: [Google]
20170803_205939_resized.jpg
356KB, 1498x843px
14 years

Nothing needed at the moment. I thought one of my wheel bearings was about to go, as there was a crunching noise that followed the wheel speed when I turned right at low speeds. Looked over the brakes and whatnot to make sure the noise couldn't come from that, found nothing and figured it could only be the bearing. Switched from the mud terrains on 15's to my all-terrains on 16's and the noise went away... no fucking clue what it could be
>>
>>17679417
Cars don't just break down, right? They give you some warning of a problem don't they?
>>
>>17679462
Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. I lost my clutch on the highway in stop and go traffic during a rain storm one morning and almost missed an exam
>>
File: 7eee66_5704958.jpg (118KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
7eee66_5704958.jpg
118KB, 960x720px
>>17679462
Not always, depends entirely on what it is.
Some things do wear out over time and will feel different, but its usually at such a slow rate that you hardly ever notice until it all goes wrong, like >>17679477 said about clutches

With modern cars you'll often have safety features that'll kill your engine when it detects that something goes wrong, in an attempt to limit the damage that can be caused. Stuff like the oil pump, injection system, crank positioning sensor and whatnot are things that'll go from 100% functionality to 100% dead in a split second, and can be caused by anything from complete mechanical malfunction (busted seals, cracked injection jets and such) to something like one of the small sensors getting a small water droplet and going mental
>>
File: 1212.jpg (550KB, 2340x1316px) Image search: [Google]
1212.jpg
550KB, 2340x1316px
I drive a 1992 Cadillac DeVille.

Not all cars are created equal. You could have a sedan from 2004 that is vastly more unreliable than a car from 1987.

That being said, trucks are generally more reliable than cars are. Plus, they are far easier to work on.
>>
>>17680154
I swear I seen you in a Cadillac Owners Group on Facebook
>>
>>17680154
So what kind of issues and maintanenece have you done on it since you bought it?
>>
>>17680418
Don't have a Facebook, bub.
>>17680434
Too fucking many. Cadillacs are a nightmare for maintenance. If you're going to get an old boat, get a Ford.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.