[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't more people use cars for towing in the US? If

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

File: boat.jpg (97KB, 799x463px) Image search: [Google]
boat.jpg
97KB, 799x463px
Why don't more people use cars for towing in the US? If Euros can tow with 1L diesel hatches, 6L muscle cars should be fine.
>>
>>17657272
Watch out dude the boat is going to scrap on the asphalt
>>
File: 1402483121001.png (120KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1402483121001.png
120KB, 300x300px
1. Towing at higher speeds, necessitating larger engines.
2. Towing with trailer axles located backwards for longer wheelbase and more weight on the hitch for higher stability at speed, therefore causing higher stress on the subframe of the tow vehicle and necessitating sturdier and therefore larger vehicles.
3. General lack of operator education, compensated for by overdimensioned equipment.
4. Possibly efforts by the American auto industry on vehicle ratings to curb the competition against their SUV and pickup truck bestsellers, without which they'd go belly up. It's actually not unreasonable to assume considering there's already favorable treatment of SUVs and pickup trucks in regards to safety and fuel economy by US legislation.
>>
>>17657272
That camaro's suspension is struggling with what is probably only 1500 lbs at most.
The issue isn't one of power, it's about whether or not the car's chassis can handle the strain. For that car specifically, that's a very good way to grenade your 10-bolt.
>>
>>17657343
How the fuck can you build muscle cars that spit out their own drivetrain when they pull 1500 lbs up a slope?
>>
>>17657361
The same way you build muscle cars that spit out their own drivetrain while not towing anything, with stock power.
The 7.5" 10 bolt.
>>
File: 20170803_205939_resized.jpg (356KB, 1498x843px) Image search: [Google]
20170803_205939_resized.jpg
356KB, 1498x843px
Its more common here, true - and the tow ratings you see here tend to be quite higher than the same car in the US would have

There is however a "darker" side to this - a lot of these cars are either so underpowered, so light, have undersized brakes or a combination of all, and you'd be fucking mad to utilize their full tow rating under anything but perfect conditions on perfect flat roads, and with a trailer in perfect shape

This thing of mine is rated for 2250kg/5000lbs - yet, I feel like 1800kg is the personal limit for me, as the 101hp/240nm is too weak, the rear of the vehicle too light for the winter if its not loaded with extra weight, and the brakes much too small for steeper downhill emergency stops, even with proper brakes on the trailer
>>
File: image.jpg (129KB, 768x773px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129KB, 768x773px
>>17657272
>>
File: WP_20160810_15_09_45_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3552x2000px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160810_15_09_45_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3552x2000px
eurotowfag reporting in
The IS tows better and more comfortably than my in-laws 2014 Rav4 diesel.
>>
File: youredoingitwrong.gif (2MB, 362x369px) Image search: [Google]
youredoingitwrong.gif
2MB, 362x369px
>>17657272
>why don't people use a car for something it wasn't designed for?
>>
>>17657598
You don't need a Ram 3500 to occasionally tow a small Uhaul trailer or a couple dirtbikes.
>>
>>17657272
In 'Murrica we tow real weight behind our SUVs, not some pussy ass pop up camper.

People do tow with cars, but they aren't built for it. There is more to it than just having the power. The trans and differential takes more of a hit and that creates heat as well, so it has to handle that. We have mountains in the US, and that can be very hard on brakes with a lot of extra weight. Also if you want it to be stable at speeds, you have to get some weight on the hitch and that requires the right suspension on the tow vehicle.

>>17657592
That's barely even a trailer. Is that at least the two jay-z? And that thing might have better brakes and a stronger trans than the Rav 4.

>>17657646
Unless you want to look like a man.

The 3500 is pretty heavy duty. But if you want to put any weight in that trailer and tow it a distance through any terrain, it's worth having something with decent brakes and a little size just to be safe.
>>
File: trailer4.jpg (56KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
trailer4.jpg
56KB, 800x600px
>>
>>17657546
>you'd be fucking mad to utilize their full tow rating

I believe that the US. Tow ratings assume mixed driving, with steep hills, highway and city use.

You might be able to move the load, but not every vehicle will be able to do so safely
>>
File: xlr toy hauler.jpg (177KB, 924x422px) Image search: [Google]
xlr toy hauler.jpg
177KB, 924x422px
>>17657272
Even a light pop up camper is 2000lbs+, Bigger travel trailers and boats are over 5000lbs. No way you're towing that safely with a 1l even in a flat state or province. No, People won't wait 5 minutes for you to hit the speed limit. Throw in the fact that we have mountains and 400mile round trips to go have fun and there you go.

>>17657646
You don't need a sports car or 400+hp sedan to drive to work and back either.
>>
they're really not made for it. now a manual car would do fine for the most part other than clutch but an auto car only has cooling and transmission fluid pressure and torque converters designed for the gross vehicle weight and not much more from what I've seen. If you could increase the trans fluid pressure, stall speed, and cooling capacity and rear spring and damper rates then sure. Also I'm sure from a manufacturers standpoint they don't want to encroach on their truck sales so they're never marketed as doing those tasks.
>>
>>17657272
Because I'm not poor and have a sports car and a truck.
>>
>tfw when no roadmaster with the towing package
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.