[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Complete newbie here My car's been having trouble starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Complete newbie here

My car's been having trouble starting up recently, I jump started it few times and now that doesn't even work anymore(still makes noises when I turn the ignition on).
This is my first car and I don't have too much experience with car maintenance, the battery's about 3 years. I'm thinking of taking the car to an auto shop and double check it's not a connection issue, then buy the battery there and just have them install the battery. But that means it would cost like 100 dollars to get the car towed and then checked.

Should I just buy the battery and install them myself? I don't have shit for tools, even the jumper cables I used was a friend's.
>>
it's probably the alrernator
>>
>>17652861
How so?
>>
>>17652842
Go to walmart, buy a battery and a cheap socket set and ratchet. That'll get you to a shop cheaper than a tow
>>
>>17652916
If you can get the car started again, you will often get the little battery light on the dash while its running if it is the battery. Or turn the headlights on and rev the engine. If they are dim at idle and only get bright when you rev the engine, your alternator is probably dead.

Or the battery is bad. You can keep jumping it but if the battery is done, it won't hold a charge anyway. Even with a bad alternator you should always be able to jump it tho.
>>
>>17652842
See if one of your buddies/odd family member has a 12v battery charger...charge the battery...go get battery load tested at parts place, if battery good, replace alternator...if battery bad, replace it...
>>
>>17652942
The battery light is for the charging system, it only comes on when the alternator isn't charging enough to keep it at around 13.7 volts.
>>
>>17652942
>battery light on the dash while running if the alternator is bad*
Fucked that up.

Are you trying to jump it with cables or a booster box? Because whether it's the battery or alternator, it should still start if you jump it using another car and cables. But if you have been using the booster box a bunch, that's probably dead now.
>>
>>17652955
Yeah meant to type alternator instead of battery there.

Ded alternator normally means battery light while car is running.
>>
>>17652956
I've been jumping it with a cable and a friend's car. It worked few days ago but it just won't work anymore.
So do you think it's something like a connection issue?

I'd like to know if there's anything I can check on the battery before I pay for towing to get it checked by a mechanic.
>>
>>17652982
How long do you have it hooked up before you try? If your battery is super dead, you might have to hook his running car up to your dead battery for 20-30min before it charges your car enough to start it.

So try that. If that works, do the things I said above to see if the alternator is good or bad. If the battery light isn't on (on the dash) while the car is running and your headlights and shit aren't dim at idle, the alternator is probably fine and just a dead battery.

Also AutoZone will test batteries for free. They are super easy to change. Have your friend drive you over there if you really can't figure out how to jump it and drive it there.
>>
>>17652982
And the connection issue, are the battery terminals covered in shit? If they are, get a wrench and take the wires off and scrub em with a brush. Baking soda + water and a toothbrush will clean the corrosion off. But if it's really bad and there is tons of that blue flaky shit all over the terminals, you probably need a new battery anyway.
>>
>>17653017
>>17653032
Wow! Didn't expect such a helpful advice. Greatly appreciate anon.
All right, I'll try jumping it one last time tomorrow. You are right, I've only had it charged for 5 to 10 minutes max, so the duration of the jump might be the problem here.
>>
>>17653057
Yeah unless your starter is dead, you should be able to jump it still. Also might be worth making sure you turn off all the lights and radio and AC in your car and your friend's car for the best bet. Hook his running car up to yours for 20+ minutes and just chill. And final thing when you finally try to start yours, he can give his car a little gas as you turn your key for the best chance.

I had to jump start a semi truck yesterday with a pickup and those trucks have 3 big ass batteries so when they are really dead, sometimes I have to leave the jumper cables hooked up for close to an hour before the truck will start.
>>
I was in the same boat recently.

My mom didn't use her car for like 7 months because of health problems and I was in another country. She left the battery connected and the battery died. I tried to recharge it with an "advanced" lithium battery charger that can supply acceptable volts and amps. I did get some voltage but still couldn't start the car. Then I jump started with a neighbor and the car refused to even make starting noise.

Finally I bought a new battery on the internet. Just check the size codes and maybe measure it too. Now the car starts fine.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.