[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

college student(mechanical eng), no income, DD is a 1995 Audi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: volt.jpg (131KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
volt.jpg
131KB, 800x533px
college student(mechanical eng), no income, DD is a 1995 Audi S6 with the 5 cylinder.

Car has been super reliable in the past, but lately is murdering me. AC went out, I sourced a cheap pump but had to have a shop recharge the system. $220. Fixed that, lost a power-output stage (stupid ass ignition system on these old Audis) single POS (lol) is about $150, replaced that so the car would run. Right after that, lost a power steering hose. Audi PS fluid is unicorn blood, and an oem replacement is $320. Going to local hose shops trying to convince one of them to build me one but not having luck.

Long story short, almost a grand in repairs over the last 2 months. Not counting 17mpg on premium fuel because 4200lb stationwagon with 2.2L engine, I'm considering something dumb.

I'm in school for mechanical engineering. I have a deal where I do property maintenance for free housing about 10 miles from the campus. When I move from my community college to the local state campus, that commute distance will double.

Convince me not to use a student loan to buy a used 2013ish Volt, to the tune of about $13k.

Pros:
1. Warranty 100k/5yrs on Volt powertrain, gets me through the rest of my college.

2. Car will run entire current commute, and possibly my entire commute in the future purely on electricity. No fuel costs.

3. Low maintenance costs- Oil change suggested interval on the Volt is like 38k miles (Thats fucking stupid af and I won't follow) but I won't have to change the oil more than once a year at maximum.

Cons: Another 13k in debt, puts my overall debt when done at around 22k, not counting what I pay off as I work where I can.

Most of my friends are paying $600-$1000/month for housing at colleges out of state like idiots, but I struggle to justify spending money on having a reliable, worry free vehicle for the next 2-3 years.

Would like to quit driving the S6 as a DD and keep it for weekend cruising.

Present your argument.
>>
>>17641414
>no income, applying for loan
How does that work? Must be an american thing

>5year warranty on a '13 car, runs out next year
So you're done with school in soon?
I doubt that you'll save $13k(+tax/ insurance) in fuel alone on the ~4400miles you're commuting in a year. If you want to save some money get a scooter or e-bike
>>
>>17641447
Not a conventional loan, student aid loan. You can apply for student aid for anything. Books, housing, transportation. Most students take out loans for housing while they are in school,or at least loans to supplement income from whatever shitty minimum wage job you can find that will work with your hours.

As for scooters, you can't operate them on the highways here legally and I have to use the highway to get to the school.

I should be done in just under 2 years depending on how well I can make the schedule work. Ideally I can find a 2014 or 15 in the price range.

One vote for trying to keep the 230k mile S6 running for school, noted.
>>
>>17641414
>17mpg on premium fuel because 4200lb stationwagon with 2.2L engine
you don't even need premium fuel unless your engine is tuned to run at a high compression ratio
>>
Why not some old $5k prius? Or an even cheaper Honda insight?
>>
>>17641414
Normally I would say to keep the Audi but when shit starts failing like that, one problem after another, I usually trade it in. Although I always recommend staying as debt free as possible.

>le meme motorcycle

How you feel about motorcycles?
>>
>>17641414
how much debt are you currently in
>>
>>17641414
>Audi PS fluid is unicorn blood
just use the cheapest Dexron
>an oem hose replacement is $320
I was fabbing my own hose connections at 15 yo. Get good mech eng.
>>
The volt is a good car with good electric range and a surprising amount of space. They're very reliable as well, more so than most of GMs other cars. They only seat 4 though so be aware of that. There's no middle seat in the back.
If you wanted to save money but still have an efficient hatchback get a prius. My grandparents had a Gen 2 and put 300k on it before the battery died. They had no problems leading up to the battery failure and got 48 MPG average overall
>>
>>17641414
>>17641414
Sell your vagbox. Buy a standard civic or corolla for sub $3k. Join an SAE team to use their tools and space or fix your shitbox after hours. Enjoy 30+ mpg, no debt, and low maintenence.

t. - recent graduate is same position three years ago.
>>
>>17643131
*to fix your shitbox
>>
>>17641414

Ride your bike/the bus until you can get enough money to fix your shitbox.

Why can't you fix the Power Steering hose yourself. Is it just the hose? I'd do some research to see if you can run anything cheaper fluid in your power steering. It would be just like the Germans at Audi to design a power steering pump that only works on $100 proprietary fluid.

It is moronic to buy a new car. Drive your shitbox until it really is not worth fixing and then get a new shitbox.

It sounds like currently there is nothing wrong with your shitbox except for a $320 power steering repair. $320 is not very much. Ride the bus until you can come up with the money.
>>
>>17642863
Cheap Dexron will destroy the seals in the system. It's an electronic/servotronic rack and essentially requires the Pentosin fluid or it will kill itself.

>>17642845
I've paid for a lot of the classes so far, I have about $4500 in student loans.

>>17641544
I've considered it, but not super keen. I've had two older friends killed on motorcycles in the last year by other drivers.

>>17641529
Audi AAN I5 20v turbo engines don't "require" premium, but the mpg loss you suffer as the engine retards timing with the lower octane fuels makes it a net loss to run less than premium.

>>17643131
I came from a career as a heavy diesel mechanic, they don't have any tools I don't have. I do all my own work myself, the costs associated with recent repairs are parts alone (Except for the AC recharge- I don't have the tools to evacuate and recharge a system from the high pressure port.)

>>17644340
The problem isn't having the money to repair it, the problem is I've spent nearly a grand in repairs in the last two months. If that continues, it makes zero financial sense to maintain the car while money is so scarce.

Seems most people agree with the logical solution, we'll fix the audi and see what else shits itself.
>>
You could buy 4 civics for that price. Or 14 carollas. Do not spend 14k on a car when you have no income. Don't be retarded. Go on CL and buy a 150k+ miles peice of shit honda and drive it till it dies like every other non-retarded college kid.
>>
>>17645149
So I can continue doing tons of maintenance, noted.

I already have a shitbox, why would I buy another shitbox?

The point of the Volt is the removal of extraneous expenses in fuel and maintenance costs
>>
>>17641414
Depending on your location, you can pick up a new mitsu mirage for <10k off the lot. Gets 50mpg and is reliable; dunno what else you could want.
>>
>>17645030
Your finances are in complete disarray....the last thing you should do is get a "new" car...you cant afford it
>>
>>17642863
>use the cheapest Dexron
Good way to kill an Audi's steering rack
>>
>>17647529
nah nigga
>>
>>17645256
>I already have a shitbox, why would I buy another shitbox?
Because a Honda or Toyota shitbox will be a lot easier and cheaper to maintain than an Audi.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.