[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got a little Honda Emergency, maybe you guys can help... bear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Acid versus alkaline foods.jpg (100KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
Acid versus alkaline foods.jpg
100KB, 600x451px
Got a little Honda Emergency, maybe you guys can help... bear with me here:

>I bought a 2010 Honda Element from a used car dealer in Atlanta. I bought it almost 2 years ago. The car had 106,000 miles. Prior to buying the car I took it to over to a nearby Honda Dealership for the biggest inspection they have, (182 points). They signed off on everything and I bought the car.

>At 110,000 miles I went to NTB and got an oil change. During the oil change, the tech called me and said "hey man, we checked your brake resovoir and someone put oil in the brake lines, you can tell because the rubber is swollen".I was in a hurry, and wasn't sure the tech was right. I called a few car savvy friends and they said that just isn't possible, if there were oil in the brake lines the brakes would have died long ago. So I ignored it, and just went on with my life.

>Today I was getting my car serviced for the 120,000 mile mark at a good mechanic in my town. Tech brings me back into the shop to look under the hood, and sure enough, the brake lines HAVE been filled with oil. Holy sh**.

I have called the used car dealer (they are denying responsibility), and have called The Honda Dealer (they are denying responsibility). I need new brake lines, new master cylinder and new calipers. Is there any recourse financially? Can I take this to court?
>>
>Taking your car to an oil change place
>>
>>17612528
>Honda Emergency
I'm not familiar with that model
>>
Unless you can prove they did it (hire a PI, etc) you're SOL. You can ding them with a bad Yelp review, that's about it.
>>
>>17612528
>Too useless you change your own oil and check your own brake fluid
Kys
>>
File: keks.png (785KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
keks.png
785KB, 1000x563px
>>17612563
>>
>>17612528
>Bought a 2010 in 2015
>Five years old with over 100,000 miles.
That's not good to begin with.

Also, sorry but it sounds like your fucked man. Just start changing your own oil. It's almost as easy (and quick) as changing a tire.
>>
>>17612528
Why would you need to replace all the brake rubber parts from a little bit of engine oil?

Seems like bullshit if a brake flush won't take care of it.
>>
>>17612564

Sadly I don't think I can, thanks man.

>>17612909
So that is good to know, they showed me the rubber cap and it was swollen as fuck.

You sure I don't need to replace everything? I don't want my brakes going out on me while driving one day.

The mechanic said that the oil could compromise rubber parts in the system and lead to a pressure failure, which would be brake failure
>>
>>17612528
>buys a car
>2 years later it has a problem
>tries to blame dealer

You're a fucking retard. You bought the car off them 2 years ago, how can it possibly be their fault. Even if it was a pretty existing condition it's now 2 years old so any damage that's been caused in those 2 years by not having the problem fixed is your fault, not theirs. I'm sure you had the option to buy an extended warranty with the car which you chose not to. Fix your own car you parasite
>>
File: 1306699190001.jpg (28KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1306699190001.jpg
28KB, 768x768px
The mechanic is right. Oil makes rubber swell up and turn to mush. You might be able to get away with just flushing it out. Might want to try that first. I'm surprised the brake fluid was serviced at all in the first five years of the car's life. Maybe someone just poured the oil in the reservoir, and the fluid in the lines is still proper brake fluid. I'd definitely do a thorough flush and see what is salvageable. I can't believe you were braking with oil and not noticing anything wrong. Makes me think that the oil wasn't fully in the lines/master cylinder.
>>
>>17612528
Just shoot up the dealership OP, nobody will blame you
>>
>>17613298

I agree. Somewhere along the line an idiot probably topped it off with oil, and luckily the oil has been sitting on top.

But still if I just do the flush, what do I just wait until my brakes go out while I'm driving?
>>
>>17613341

I guess it's just up to you whether the risk justifies the cost. I definitely would risk it, but then again I have very little spending money at the moment. As always, you can minimize risk of failure by doing regular inspections. I'm not a mechanic, but I would say that if inspections are done periodically, it would be pretty unlikely for a sudden failure would occur. Your car is still fairly new. Even if the oil degraded the rubber in some way, the way I see it brakes rarely catastrophically fail even in 20+ year old cars. If there are issues, they can usually be identified by inspecting the brake system. I would flush everything out, do some panic stops to make sure that everything is OK. If the brakes function properly, I would forget about it aside from making sure to inspect them every oil change. (And of course driving safely to begin with)

Just my 2 cents...
>>
>>17613341
it sounds like some retard just tried to top the reservoir off with oil. If the oil was in your brake lines they wouldve failed a long time ago.

So have them pull out as much oil from the top of the resevoir (vacuum it out), then do a proper brake bleed. See if there's any oil that comes out during the bleed. If there is (brown), you should replace it all. If only brake fluid comes out (green stuff), then it was probably sitting in the reservoir the whole time and the lines are probably mostly undamaged
>>
>>17613467

Thanks man, that's exactly what I'm thinking.

They can vacuum liquids out?
>>
>>17613298

And yeah to confirm, the brakes are functioning perfectly.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.