[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>want to get a shitbox stick shift off Craigslist to learn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1275.jpg (79KB, 988x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1275.jpg
79KB, 988x1024px
>want to get a shitbox stick shift off Craigslist to learn how to drive stick and so /o/ will stop calling me a fag
>have to know how to drive stick for the test drive and driving it home
>>
>>17600931
watch some youtube tutorials before you drive it and you can figure get a hang of manual driving in the parking lot before you drive home
>>
Who the fuck keeps perpetuating this "learn on a shitbox" meme? Learn on the car you want to buy HOLY FUCK, it is not hard even if you buy something old with a cable clutch.
>>
>>17600931
Rent are car for a few hours
>>
>>17600944
I have, you think I'll make a fool of myself though? stalling in the middle of a street is my biggest fear.
>>17600951
But I still have to drive it for the test drive.
Also
>being able to afford a non-shitbox
>>
>>17600968
The only difficult part of driving stick is getting the car moving, and that just requires somewhat decent left foot control.
Shifting gears is as easy as foot off the gas, clutch in, move stick, clutch out and foot back on the gas, and highway driving just involves accelerating up to the limit and leaving it in the highest gear.
>>
>>17600965
Oh, good call. Any suggestions of what I should rent? There's some Mazda MX5 Miata in my location for 47$/day. I bet I could drive that around the block like an idiot to get used to it.
>>17600990
Yeah I've played around with the paddle shifters in a my friend's Benz. Only thing I'm worried about is giving the right amount of gas and downshifting. I've gotten a feel for the revs and when to upshift based on just watching people.
>>
>>17601020
If you're worried about downshifting, just let the clutch out a little slower. Sure it won't be as quick, but at least you won't jerk like shit.
>>
>be me
>first time in a sticky shifty
>don't know what I'm doing
>okay.. so.. clutch in..
>Uhh.. Here's reverse..
>won't go into reverse..
>uhh..
>wiggle the stick
>try it in reverse again
>GRINDDDDDDDD
>goes in
>look at seller
>"uhh, and we're off"
>let clutch out slowly
>it grabs
>push clutch back in, roll out of parking spot
>okay.. here we go.. and into 1
>too much clutch
>too much gas
>AND WE'RE OFF
>boom, be cruising the parking lot in fist
>clutch in, yank it into second
>pop clutch out
>tires bark and we're off again
>keep it cruising
>oh shit a stop light
>uhh...
>clutch in
>take it out of gear
>uhh...
>fights me on going into first
>double clutch
>go into first
>nervous as fuck
>stall
>holding up intersection
>keep calm
>turn key back over
>starts right back up
>burn clutch as I floor it out of intersection
>boom second gear chirp again
>boom woulda chirped third if it had the power to do so

Got the hang of it after that. Just put it in first before you go to R and it shouldn't fight you.
>>
>>17601048
I just downshifted two early in my friends Benz once and it was damn near the loudest I've ever heard a car.
>>
>>17601082
Kek, that happens when you suddenly need to rev the piss out of the engine if you want to match revs.
Just downshift when you drop down to ~1000rpm, you'll be fine.
>>
>>17601073
Yeah that's what it's gonna be for me too, thanks for the put in first first tip, I would not have known that.
>>17601092
Yeah haha, thanks I'll look out for the revs more.
>>
File: what is aleppo.jpg (39KB, 699x344px) Image search: [Google]
what is aleppo.jpg
39KB, 699x344px
>>17600931
>>
>>17601020
>>17601048
Do this if you want to wear your clutch out faster.

Simply brake more so you don't have to worry about rev matching or destroying your clutch. Obviously don't let your engine struggle though
>>
File: CWmG0kuWsAAvpJs.jpg (77KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
CWmG0kuWsAAvpJs.jpg
77KB, 600x800px
>>17600931
post your local craigslist and I'll find you a shitbox

as for learning how to drive stick i recommend Fatt Marah of thesmonkingtired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waeOibnmuJk
>>
>>17601214
I see. Better safe than sorry basically.
>>17601231
Here:
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org

Oh and that vid looks comprehensive, I'll check it out.
>>
>>17601295
Yes, until you learn to shift better. You don't want to brake with your clutch
>>
>>17600931
Fuck off back to /b/, damn frogposter.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.