[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone done any car flipping? I'm currently in school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: flip.jpg (38KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
flip.jpg
38KB, 480x360px
Has anyone done any car flipping?
I'm currently in school trying to become a teacher. As a teacher I will have summer's off so I'm trying to look at ways I can make some money with the time off. can I actually make money?
Here is what my car experience is so far, I fixed up a turd gen with my dad when I was in 8th grade to when I was 16. what we did was bought one shitty camaro to use as the base. then we would buy a $200-$300 one off craigslist that was basically an inch from death. we stripped every usable part off and the recycled the body just about recouped the cost just by recycling it. then we kept and used all the parts we needed, and saved a few extras of stuff that commonly breaks. we sold all the other parts on craigslist and ebay. a lot of the little random stuff we ended up selling on ebay just for the shipping price just to get rid of it and to help someone else out. we used 3 of those $200-$300 and our original one. selling rear hatches for a couple hundred and stuff like that we made enough for a paint job and an I-ROC motor(ours had the 305)
So, do you think I know what I'm doing enough to earn some extra money in the summers?
>>
>>17588936
I ain't reading that shit nigger.
Green text it
>>
>>17588936
>>17588952
ok here is the simple meme arrow edit
Trying to become a teacher. teachers have summers off and I would like to earn some extra money. I'm considering trying to flip cars or part stuff out to earn money
here's my car experience
>fix up a turd gen camaro with my dad
>bought 1 for $800 and 3 for $200-300 each
>tear everything usable off the $200-$300 ones
>use parts we need, recycle the bodies, and sell extra parts on craigslist and ebay
>recoup money by recycling the bodies and make extra cash by selling extra parts
>selling extra parts pays for a new paintjob and a rebuilt motor
do I have enough to try flipping and can i actually make money?
>>
>>17588936
I have the same plans OP, but really tools are tools. Figure out what parts do what and how they are held in place and you can pretty fix anything. You only learn from doing so even if you buy a car that doesn't go well for you you'll still learn.
>>
part if me thinks just doing what we did stripping those POS's would be easier and more profitable
>>17589529
same plans as in fixing cars for cash on the side or same plans as in teaching?
>>
There's that one anon that flipped a ton of Neons, although I doubt he's still here
>>
>>17588936
tl dr because that paragraph is pretty much unreadable

you can make 4k a month driving Uber

flipping cars as a rookie is going to be really hard, unless you really really like dealing with craigslist people

I used to buy cheap cars with bad cats, 90% of cats are cleanable, and flip them for 1000 bucks profit, easy
>>
>>17588936
I have flipped a couple cars in my day. It requires a shit ton of space though for the all vehicles.

I usually drove it for about a year to make it seem like I wasn't just flipping it. Then it's like free transportation for a year with profit.
>>
I flip a few every year with a friend.

They keys are - Tire availability, minimizing parts costs, proper diagnosis of problems (especially CEL lights), having the right tools.

I've made as little as $300 profit on one (600 total split between us). I had a little over an hour of my time in that one. How long does it take to make $300 at work? I'm totally fine with little flips when they're available.

The biggest things are knowing what things cost to fix (time and parts), avoiding rust, and not buying a project. The goal is to make money with minimal work. I'm not swapping an engine for $500 profit. Well, maybe on a civic.
>>
>>17588936
Just teach summer school
>>
File: IMG_20150318_185523149.jpg (2MB, 3017x2315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150318_185523149.jpg
2MB, 3017x2315px
>>17588936
>Has anyone done any car flipping?
Yes

>do I have enough to try flipping and can i actually make money?
most likely no

The only way you can make money flipping cars is:

-You have steady and reliable access to cheap cars (having an in to a dealer only auction, friends at a salvage yard, that sort of thing)

-You have the time and energy to source cheap parts (Pick and pull yards, ebay, internet parts houses)

-You already have the tools and equipment necessary to handle basic to moderate mechanical repairs, do decent detail work (because cleaning up filthy interiors will become common), and polish up minor to moderate body issues)

-Be in an area that has enough wealth that reselling the car won't be a problem

Best I ever managed personally was making about 5 grand on a Dodge pickup (pic related). Co-worker and I made 4 grand a piece flipping an F-150 that had been a chain smoker's car for several years by completely stripping out the interior and cleaning out all the tar/nicotine
>>
Speaking of flipping cars, how's people experiences buying cars from auction like Copart?
What are some tips and tricks to buying vehicles from auto auctions?
>>
>>17590970
Currently doing a copart flip. You may need dealers license depending on state. And it is always a gamble because you never know what is fucked up on it. Usually will cost double your budget. I bought a truck out of state, bought for 8k, plan on selling for 20k after driving it for a year. State only allows me to sell 7 cars a year so I'll just drive a new car every year.

Most expensive part that is guaranteed to be needed is airbags. In a salvage collision you can bet your ass an airbag deployed. Your state may require new airbag(s) to be installed before passing a safety inspection. Airbags can add up depending on how many popped.

Cosmetic fixes are easy if you stay with a popular car. Otherwise be prepared to buy a donor. Then you might get fucked over when you find out the frame is tweaked.
>>
>>17591024
How accurate are the shipping rates from the shipping estimator tool on copart?
>>
>>17590617
what are cats?
>>
>>17591098
I would say not accurate. Shipping can cost as low as $800-1000 dollars, but there shipping calculator was double when I tried the quotes. I'm guessing it might have something to do with partners and copart allowing those people to pick up vehicles. Don't really know. I ended up driving 24 hours total driving time to Texas and bought a trailer there. Seemed cheaper.
>>
>>17588936
its more work than you think.

something is always worse than it appeared, and it always cost more than it should, and someone is going to try to lowball you.

i flipped beaters for awhile, and that shit sucked and made very little money.

i do old trucks now (square bodies) and do alright.
you can't think of it as a money making venture, but as a hobby that funds itself and maybe a few cases of beer.
>>
>>17591781
catylitic converter
also,
>posting underage and whilst riding the bus
>>
>>17589702
Flipping cars
>>
You'll probably make more money parting out cars.

I bought an E36 that didn't run for $150
All the parts I put on my E36 added up to around $600
I sold the shell for $100
The rest of the parts add up to about $500 and I've sold enough already to cover the car and trailer costs.
It take a while but you don't have to deal with shitty car buyers because most people buying parts know exactly what they want.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.