[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody use these personal spring compressors for replacing struts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

Anybody use these personal spring compressors for replacing struts at home? I have to replace front suspension components on my E92 and am not willing to give my kidneys to the dealership to do so. How safe are these things? Not necessarily the ones in pic, but that style.
>>
>>17582355
I've seen Motor Trend use them as well as the less professional channels. Don't be stupid about it and you should be fine.
>>
They're safe enough as long as you do them so that there is alway pressure on both sides

Make sure to get ones where the teeth fit smoothly with the coil itself, and be fucking careful handling it - I put my compressed coils in another room when I'm not taking them out or putting them back in
>>
>>17582355
They get dangerous when you have tall and thin coilovers like from older Hondas. Bigger struts shouldn't have a problem.

As long as you don't aim the spring at your head and secure it with a vice or something, you should be okay.
>>
>>17582355
These are dangerous as fuck, don't use them
>>
>>17582383
Seriously, these are a great way to get a grapefruit sized hole through your face, just pay up, you life is worth more than whatever they're gonna charge you.

As a general rule of wrenching, if its something your not immediately comfortable doing, dont do it.
>>
I fucking wish they had ready to go spring and struts for my e92 with the m-sport suspension so I wouldnt have to do this shit
>>
>>17582355
You can rent spring compressors from stores like O'Reilly or Vatozone for ~$150 (fully refundable). The kit they have may be better than what's in your image. I can't vouch since I've never done so myself.
>>
File: Capture.png (135KB, 786x483px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
135KB, 786x483px
isn't this style way safer?
also less adjustable though
>>
>>17582471
>151 reviews
>3 stars
Isn't Pittsburgh Harbor Freight's brand?
>>
>>17582499
yes, that specific item might not be the best
but you can find that style elsewhere
>>
>>17582355
I have them and have used them successfully many times.
On many of the stock suspension systems I've worked with you dont even need them.
>>
>>17582355
Yeah, but they're shit. Be extremely careful, or better, get a real compressor tool.
>>
I would look for ones with double claws and safety pins. If you make sure the are 180 degrees apart and you compress each side equally over time the are perfectly safe.

People will not have them spaced correctly or will compress one side too much at a time. Some idiots will even use an impact or air ratchet intead of slowly carefully compressing and uncompressing.
Also loosen, slightly, the top retaining nut before fitting compressors.
>>
>>17582355
You can borrow these from your local parts store for free. I've used them, they're fine.
Treat it like a loaded gun, though. Don't point it at anything you can't replace.
The best ones have pins that will lock the spring in place.
>>
File: Million_Times_Safer.jpg (120KB, 641x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Million_Times_Safer.jpg
120KB, 641x1500px
>>17582355
ASE Master Tech here. I tried using a set before, but that design really is the worst. What usually happens is either they break, strip-out, or one slips around the spring and now both are side-by-side. Just call around to your local shops and aske what they charge if you bring in a set of struts and all they need is changed. Probably cost you less than a set of those cheap ass compressors. Hell, if you have a regular shop you go to they might do it for free (it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes each).
Good luck and don't lose a finger
>>
OP here, thanks for the replies. Ill probably just bring them to a shop so they can compress them there. They are for a 335is, so might as well get this job done properly.
>>
File: spring compressor.jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
spring compressor.jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
>>17583421
I don't know if you're still here but I used ones exactly like this and had great success when I did the front struts in my Subaru, I was able to rent them from AdvanceAuto. They have safety pins and are lower profile than the other style in the OP pic. The way to stay safe is locate the compressors as close to 180 degrees apart as possible and always point the spring away from you anytime it's not contained within the strut assembly. Also it helps to lube the threads with something before using them, I used copper anti-sieze just because I got a huge bottle of it for free from a friend but most any sort of petroleum will work although engine oil would probably just drip all over the place so I wouldn't used that.

>>17583266
This is bar-none the best tool for the job but too expensive for most home-jobbers to justify owning
>>
>>17582355
Why not buy the whole coil over assembly? Chances are your springs have weakened if your shocks are worn out.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.