[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking at getting an 80s-90s Jaguar XJS/XJ12. I know these things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 92-Jaguar-XJS_V12-DV_12-PAS_01.jpg (211KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
92-Jaguar-XJS_V12-DV_12-PAS_01.jpg
211KB, 1024x681px
Looking at getting an 80s-90s Jaguar XJS/XJ12.
I know these things cost a lot for yearly upkeep, but how high am I looking for a daily driver? I most likely won't be able to wrench it my own.
>>
>>17581608
5 quadrillion dollars per mile you put on the car, especially since the mechanics will rip you off each timw you go in.
>>
>>17581614
I seriously believe that is the most unreliable production car ever made this side of 1950
>>
>>17581608
If you can't wrench it yourself then it is about the worst thing in the world you could buy. Stop.
>>
>>17581608
If you're going to daily a jaguar DO NOT get the v12 unless you're willing to put about 5-6,000$ into it a year. Jaguar v12's perform wonderfully but they are hard to maintain.

Get an xj6 if you have to have a jaguar. The inline 6 is tough as nails and are known to last up to 250k with basic maintenance
>>
>>17581619
Whys that?
>>
>>17581620
The V12 isn't so much hard to work on, it's just that there's an awful lot of simple stuff going on.
>>
>>17581620
What's the break down for the 5-6k maintenance?
>>
>>17581608
You shouldnt even be thinking about this for one second. Even with FULL preventative maintenance measures, you simply cannot account for the time wasted sitting on the side of the road for some random thing you missed, and the damn headaches and stress this thing will cause you. You cannot quantify those things in money. You will hate yourself if you go through with the purchase.
>>
>>17581625
So a lot of simply things to keep track of?
>>
up
>>
>>17581608
>ls swap
>ez life
>>
>>17582104
Yes, OP really seems like he could drop an LS into a V12 Jag in an afternoon and do it well enough to make the car daily driveable.
>>
>>17581608
>how high am I
A twelve pack of Natural Ice followed by two deep hits from the salvia bong.
>>
There's one thing about these cars that no one mentions since they're too busy spouting stuff about Jag reliability: They have a reliable but otherwise awful American automatic transmission. Some 3-speed slushbox out of a Chevy or something,
>>
>>17581608
That is honestly the most fucking retarded thing I have read all month here. That is a severely stupid decision to buy that car not be able to wrench on it yourself. You should really reflect on your life choices if you are even considering that.
>>
>>17581619
This.

Know why they catch fire? The injectors are connected to the fuel rail with a short section of fuel hose instead of using an o-ring in a socket like modern cars do. The fuel hose dry rots and you get a high pressure fuel leak spraying right onto the distributor. Nobody knows this now because it's a fucking archaic way of connecting injectors.

That's just ONE thing of literally hundreds, if not thousands of details the cars have. YOU are going to have to be lead mechanic on one of these to even stand a chance of having a good time with it because no mechanic working for a living has got time to babysit a relic.
>>
>>17581626
I owned a xj12 a while back and little things would break constantly. If you've ever seen the engine bay of a xjs or xj12 you'll know why it's so expensive.

Honestly tho if you know what hours do I g they're about as bad as like an rx7. You'll have to maintain them twice as much as any normal car. If you're willing to put the work in you'll have nice car to take to meets and stuff.
>>
>>17582438
Hm, I'd love to wrench on my own, but I'll be in an apartment or a condo by the time I buy one, so room for tools and shit will be limited.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.