[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got a question, /o/. My 90 ford ranger is in due of a fixing.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0741.jpg (220KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0741.jpg
220KB, 1024x768px
I got a question, /o/. My 90 ford ranger is in due of a fixing. I have a oil leak, acceleration issues, and it won't stay on unless I lightly hold the gas pedal for a few seconds so it doesn't turn off. Now I'm not a car geek but I want to fix it in my own but don't know where to start. A mechanic told me the oil leak is from the rear main seal of the transmission but i have had bad luck with shitty mechanics ripping me off so I wasn't sure if I believed him or not. Anyways can you guys give me a bit of guidance on how to tackle this project ? I know if I take it to a mechanic it's going to cost me a arm and a leg. I don't have any tools but I know people who do or I can buy a set of mechanic tools.
>>
>>17578589
A rear main seal leak is both a common issue and a frequently misdiagnosed issue. It is one of the lowest points on the engine. The oil could be leaking from higher up and dripping down to that area, making it appear to be an rms leak. The leak is also unrelated to your other problems. How much oil are you losing?

You can start with a basic tuneup. New air filter, new spark plugs, etc. Youtube tutorials are your friend.
>>
The idling and hesitation sounds like either a vacuum leak or a stuck EGR valve. It's not OBD2, maybe OBD1 was around back then? It's going to be interesting talking to that old ECU whatever it is.
>>
>>17578765
Well every two months give or take 3 I add 1 quart of oil.
>>17578792
It has obd1 just searched it up
>>
>>17578589
Rear main sales is common a common failure.
The seal itself is cheap and easy to change, once you get to it. You have to remove transmission and flywheel/flexplate to get to it.
For idle issue I'd look at IAC (idle air control valve), but there's too many possible culprits to just throw parts at it.
>>
>>17579062
Well thats not so bad. Manufacures say that engines are "suppose to" burn a quart every 3000 miles, but thats alot of oil to burn.

Pro tip some mazda pick up truck parts will work with your ranger.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.