[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't find any straight answers, so I turn here. I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Taco Sauce.jpg (949KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
Taco Sauce.jpg
949KB, 1520x2688px
I can't find any straight answers, so I turn here.

I have a 2009 Ford Focus SE and the motor is loud and rattles the whole interior. The motor mounts are fine, but I did come across during my research that changing the oil could make the engine quieter, but will cost you in what temps you can use the engine or whatever.

What viscosity and type should I change?
>>
>motor mounts are fine

are you sure about that? your issue sounds exactly what a bad motor mount causes.
>>
Focus engines are quite loud. Turn up the radio volume usually fix it.
>>
Ford Focus owner here, your motor mounts are not fine. The rubber, or if they're OEM, are hydraulic fluid that is inside of the mounts will become brittle/break/leak over time, resulting in more vibration, interior noise, etc. Do you feel the vibration through your gas pedal? It's motor mounts.
>>
>>17561640
>What viscosity and type should I change?

To the one that Ford recommended from the factory.
Potential undue wear during startup to quiet some noise is not worth it.
>>
Thank you for your inputs. I previously had 2 mechanics look at the engine, one a good family mechanic, and another Ford Dealership mechanic. Ford Mechanic said they they need to be changed, and the family one said they're still good for a while longer. I believed family one more because he's not trying to profit off me. Anyways, after asking the one who actually drives the car, she said she does feel it through the gas pedal. You guys saved me quite a lot of trouble and patchwork. Thank you very much for the help, I'll keep it at 5w-20 and get the mounts changed.
>>
File: THE MONEY SHOT.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
THE MONEY SHOT.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>17561798
I'm about to drop a fuckload of focus ownership tips on you.

on my old focus I would use 5w20 in summer and 0w20 in winter (winters get cold here, I only do 2 oil changes a year, didn't drive much. Full synthetic, you have no reason to not use it when its $20 for 5 quarts at walmart. Move up in thickness to 5w30 if you're having excessive burnoff or live in the southwest (southern cali, new mexico, arizona, etc) or somewhere with temps in excess of 35C/100F.

The OEM engine mounts are sealed with hydraulic fluid. If you're familiar with inline 4's, they vibrate a lot. Anyways, the engine basically shakes the engine mounts to death, and the hydraulic fluid hardens or leaks over time, I've heard from forums in extreme cases the interval on OEM engine mounts being as little as 15k. I went with solid engine mounts (rubber aftermarket instead of hydraulic fluid), a bit more vibration overall, not noticeable unless you're really looking for it, but the interval went from 15k to 50k+.

Check your suspension. Thanks to the camber on it, the focus loves to eat tires. Rotate them frequently, every 10k or less. Your front ones strangely enough wear evenly, but the rears will get chewed out unevenly. Perks of owning a focus.

It's pretty anemic in the powerband, it's dead below about 1750rpm, and then scoots from 2500 up to 5500. I never took it to redline because I don't hate my car.

My emissions/exhaust was on the way out, so for the last year I owned it, it had a constant CEL on, toyed around with running it catless. It still never got over 30mpgs.
>>
>>17561798
>I believed family one more because he's not trying to profit off me.
That's a stupid way of thinking about it. He sees an incoming big problem and wants to nip it at the bud.
>>
>>17561798
>>17562353
you have the second gen and mine was the first gen, so you don't need to worry about the throttle body recall shenanigans.

If you have the duratec, your engine may be underpowered, but no other quirks.

The Zetec (2.4L? if you have it) is known for finicky vacuum leaks and occasionally dropping valve seats, aka your engine turns into an inwards-facing frag grenade, at which point your engine goes on to fiery valhalla, and people get to laugh at you stranded on the side of the road.
>>
>>17561710
Hydraulic fluid becoming brittle, what?
>>
>>17562384
I'm not some mad scientist, it's not a true fluid, it loses its elasticity or some shit. Either way, the OEM mounts are infamous for a short shelf life.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.