[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey fellas, bought a 1971 Buick riviera about three months ago

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0531.jpg (49KB, 612x224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0531.jpg
49KB, 612x224px
Hey fellas, bought a 1971 Buick riviera about three months ago but I'm having some trouble. I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys. When I bought it, the original owner had just put a brand new edelbrock four barrel carb on it and the thing ran great, but had a very high idle, so high that at stop lights I would have to keep both feet on the brake. When I talked to him he said he had it tuned for the cold weather, I live in Oregon by the way. So I adjusted it so idle a bit lower cause it's been hot as fuck. Well when I made that minor adjustment to the idle screw, I didn't touch the air/fuel mixture screws at all, but for about a week it's been coughing while I bring the rpms up doing down the road. It hesitates and general isn't running that great.

I read the Manuel that came with the carb and it said all three screws need to be adjusted together to achieve the best idle. Well after about three days of trying to do it myself by ear, I've come to the conclusion i have no clue what the fuck I'm doing. Can anyone give me any advice as to how to fix it or would it be best to take it to a shop and have them do it?

Pic related
>>
Also, I've watched about ten different videos on YouTube that all say about the same thing the manual did, so I'm kinda at a dead end.
>>
If you've adjusted the carburetor correctly (via manual and YT guides), you might have a vacuum line leak going in/out of the carburetor.

Atleast that's what I think of immediately when I hear about idling problems.
>>
>>17558074
How would I check for leaks? I sprayed some chemtool around the base or the carb to see if that's where it was and I also visually inspected the lines and couldn't hear/see anything.

Would it cost an arm and a leg to take it to a shop?
>>
>>17558096
Visually inspecting the lines for cracks is a good start. I've always sprayed carburetor cleaner around the base plate of the carb to check.

I'm not sure on pricing, but if you do decide to go to a shop try to find an older gentleman; he'll be much more experienced than a younger guy.
>>
That's the thing about old cars. Touch one thing and you're likely to break something else just getting to what it is you touched.
>>
I would lean towards a vacuum leak. Check it by spraying soapy water on all the lines. If it bubbles on the line, there is a hole or a crack in it.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.