[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There is currently a 1991 Jaguar XJ-S for sale in my area for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 00e0e_cZIJwLhD2dH_1200x900.jpg (152KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
00e0e_cZIJwLhD2dH_1200x900.jpg
152KB, 675x900px
There is currently a 1991 Jaguar XJ-S for sale in my area for $3,600.

According to the listing, fair paint, no dings, runs and drives but could use a tune up. 79,000 miles. V12 engine with autotragic (yeah I know). From what I understand, they're rare.

Should I go for it? I want to explore the possibility of swapping the GM autotragic slushbox for a manual transmission. The idea of having a V12 and a manual 5/6 speed transmission makes me hard, especially with the prospect of upgrading the engine.
>>
>>17553335
If you buy it you WILL have to put every ounce of your being into it
>>
>>17553358
I understand parts will probably be scarce and expensive, but elaborate please?
>>
File: Jaguar_XJS.jpg (880KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Jaguar_XJS.jpg
880KB, 2304x1728px
>>17553335

Isn't $3,600 very cheap in America for this car??

I don't think I could even find one in the UK for £3,600 that's drivable.

>>17553410

He means it will be breaking down a lot and require a lot of maintenance. Jaguars of this era are notorious.

I'd go take a look at it personally though even just to examine it for myself, this is one of the cars on my bucket list. A beautiful and silky smooth V12 grand tourer, aww yis
>>
>>17553479
There are 2008-2011 Honda Civics in my area that are being sold on craigslist for more ($3,950-$5,000ish)

My 1997 Toyota Celica was only $1,000 and has had virtually no issues.
>>
>>17553503

Cars are often pot luck.

If this car is so cheap because some old man has it and doesn't drive it anymore and it's been babied and kept in a garage for the past 10 years its a steal.

On the other hand there may be something majorly wrong and he's offloading it before it goes bang.

We have no way to tell, OP just has to go look at it and use his judgement.

>Could use a tuneup
Implies that the owner knows there's something wrong with the engine and knows it will require serious work or money in the near future. Or it may be nothing.
>>
>>17553335
Do you know a mechanic familiar with Jag engines? Because that V12 is a fucking snake nest in more ways than one and no way you're overhauling that in your driveway.
>>
>>17553335
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gfQ4jzUEwU
>>
>>17553547
It's like a box of chocolates. You don't know what you're going to get.
>>
>>17553335
You'd better have money on hand if things go south with it. On the rarity factor, they're not rare unless you're talking about $3600 for one in good condition. Good ones all over the US go anywhere from $8000 to $15000.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/books/old-xj-s/contents.htm
>>
you should replace hoses, wires, injectors and things like that, the engine block and internals are pretty strong
>>
the xjs is the most seventies looking car made past the seventies ive ever seen, it's a beautiful fucking car
>>
>>17553410

Parts aren't rare and most aren't expensive. The Jag V12 looks like more of a challenge to work on than it actually is. Removal of the air cleaners and throttle rods gives you access to pretty much everything.

As for a manual conversation, it can be done. There are companies out there that make complete kits to do it, but those kits are about $4500. As a comfortable grand tourer though there's nothing better, super comfy, smooth power and engine, great handling, all wrapped up in classic British styling.
>>
>>17553410
The XJS is world famous for electrical gremlins
>>
>>17555215
tbqh it's hard to find a 90s luxury car that doesn't have them, it was a time when the number of electric gizmos was growing too big for ye olde switch and relay circuitry to handle, but they couldn't do digital stuff properly yet. (And you can at least make sense of most of XJS electrics, unlike early microcontroller disasters like the P38 RR)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.