[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't GM bring this stateside as a new Pontiac Fiero?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1488296751149.png (1MB, 1006x668px) Image search: [Google]
1488296751149.png
1MB, 1006x668px
Why didn't GM bring this stateside as a new Pontiac Fiero?
Yes, I know they were built by Lotus.
>>
They already had the Solstice
>>
>>17547015
This and it probably would have cost too much to bring it up to US standards.

Its why the quit selling the Elise here.
>>
File: vauxhall-vx220-002.jpg (220KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
vauxhall-vx220-002.jpg
220KB, 1280x960px
>>17547015
No. The Sky/GT replaced them in the European market. From 2002 to 2006, there was no US equivalent.

>>17547041
>Vauxhall VX220/Opel Speedster were sister cars to Lotus Elise and the Tesla Roadster
>2.2L Ecotec i4 variant already met US emissions
>Use 2.0L turbo version from US market Saab 9-3 in place of the European 2.0L turbo variant in order to meet US emission on the turbo model cheaply

Bringing it to US standards is NOT why Lotus stopped selling the Elise stateside. It's because Toyota refused to make the 2ZZ-GE engine for them anymore and Lotus couldn't afford to homologate an engine themselves. They are selling in the US again using a supercharged version of the 2ZR-FE from the Corolla though.
>>
>>17547008
Americunts arr too poor to afford them. If you want one just import one it's a free country.
>>
>>17547438
>If you want one just import one it's a free country.
25 year rule
>>
>>17547488
but but free country.
>>
>>17547057
Actually it was. Lotus could never have the Rover engines approved and neither the "simple" chassis in the US, so they made a reinforced version with the Toyota engine to sale overseas.

The reason it stopped being sold there was due to safety features lacking. Passenger airbags, ABS and curtain airbags became mandatory in the US way earlier than Europe, and the Elise originally had none of those, and never had airbags other than the driver's on S2.
>>
File: RA-Elise1.jpg (333KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
RA-Elise1.jpg
333KB, 1280x960px
>>17547527
dude have you seen the S2 in a crash? it basically shatters like a light bulb
>>
>>17547552
I know, I have one and it scares me...
>>
>>17547512
It may be a free country, but the 25 year rule was put into place to protect corporate profits. Until we can eliminate corporate money from American politics, that policy is going nowhere.
>>
no one would have Porsche money on a pontiac.
>>
>>17547552
>britshit quality
>>
The Fiero isn't nearly as loved across the states as it is on /o/. It would likely be Corvette money or Camaro money so it would sit and rot at the dealership floors. And as someone else said Gm has enough quality problems in itself, they don't need British made shit.
>>
>>17547552
>dat battery hanging out
fug
>>
>>17553364
We have priorities.
>>
>>17547008
That is one ugly piece of shit.
>>
>>17549458
Money is going to stay in American politics for the foreseeable future, partly because redneck fucktards elected a literal retard to office and partly because the Democrats aren't gonna do shit either.
>>
>>17547008
It would interfere with their precious Corvette
>>
>>17554587
This is why groups like Justice Democrats and Brand New Congress exist. One of their main overall goals is to get corporate money out of politics, and to be a politician for either, you have to refuse all manner of corporate money. West Virginia is going to be a battleground in 2018 as Justice Democrat Paula Jean Swearengin aims to unseat corporate Democrat Joe Manchin in Congress. There are some of them already in office, like Ro Khanna from California
http://justicedemocrats.com/
https://brandnewcongress.org/
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.