[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've come across two BMW owners over the past year who keep

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1200px-BMW.svg.png (281KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-BMW.svg.png
281KB, 1200x1200px
I've come across two BMW owners over the past year who keep their gas powered car plugged into a battery charger while it's in the garage. I asked why and they told me it's something newer BMWs need to do if you don't drive them very often, but couldn't explain the reasoning.

Every car I've ever had could sit for months and the battery would be fine. Why is this a requirement for BMWs? I wanted to get one, but damned if I'm doing that every time I park in my garage. I might as well get an electric car.
>>
They were probably diesels. If you don't drive diesels incredibly frequently, or in the winter, the gas needs to be heated so it doesn't solidify.

t. guy whose father had a 300D boat
>>
Every modern car has many modules on a CAN bus that draw small amounts of electricity. Security modules that look for your key, infotainment that stays in a semi sleep mode for the system to load quickly when you open the door, memory for seat positions, etc. If you let a new S Class, A7, etc. sit for a month without being on a tender it will likely drain the battery to the point it won't start. A week should be no issue, but it depends on the car.
>>
>>17536656
just to clarify since I didn't say it - because the gas needs to be heated there's a plug in the front of the car that when used heats the gas and keeps it from turning to jelly. We did that with the 300D all the time in the winter, though my dad had no fucking idea about it for a few months and my grandma that he got it from may have had no idea since she bought the car in '83 and never let him know, lol

>>17536669
I don't think those warrant plugging the car in or else every single car would come with that sort of plug
>>
>>17536641
Pretty normal for anything with a thirsty security system or a small battery. You don't need to if you drive frequently though.
>>
>>17536641
Are you sure they don't have engine block heaters?
>>
>>17537568
Not sure - they both had upper end 3 series sedans, less than 4 years old. In fact, one of them was literally imported from Germany to America, so it has the seats reversed.
>>
>>17537271
Most cars are expected to be driven regularly, but really any car battery should be hooked up to a tender if you're just letting it sit.
>>
>>17537868
>Seats reversed.
What dou you mean by that?.
>>
>>17536641
3 weeks and my nearly new GM car with its new high-capacity AGM battery is down to 40%. These things along with OnStar that broadcasts status al the time eats the batteries. You can't really take batteries down past 20% without sulphating risk. That means a practical real-life battery's actual bottom is 20% and not 0%. We all know that sulphated batteries suck ass.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.