[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I look for or consider when buying used tires

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

What should I look for or consider when buying used tires /o/? I'm poor.
>>
>>17512564
Look for this etching in the sidewall that says Hankook
>>
>>17512564
Consider buying new tires. Why cheap out on one of the most important parts of your car? Its like cheaping out on brakes.

Just go to Les Schwab or your local tire shop, tell them you're poor as dirt and to get the cheapest new shoes you can afford.
>>
Second hand quality tyres with a decent amount of tread are preferable to brand new chinese made tyres that are flat out dangerous from the factory.
>>
>>17512581
That's the problem though anon, I am dirt poor and the cheapest new tires I could find were $90 each, whereas used ones from Big O were $40 each with install and balance. I just need anything above board right now to pass inspection, and then I'll start saving up for good ones for when those run out.
>>
>>17512612
What car/tire size?
>>
there a discount tire or walmart near you? can get them as low as $60

with walmart call in advance to make sure they have your tire, they can order them
>>
Look for one that's
>Less than two years old
>Zero cracks on sidewall or patches
>60% or more of tread life
The key is to get your money's worth, even if you gotta pay a little extra. Also make sure it's the same speed and load index AND type as the other three tires you have already
>>
Also fuck anyone telling to get "cheap" new tires. Those tires will be Chinese or some other poor quality tires that will actually make your drive quality worse. It's much more preferably to get a high quality used tire from a good brand. Just don't let anyone rip you off or tell you dumb bullshit just to sell you a crap tire
>>
>>17512665
P235 65R 18
apparently pretty difficult to find
>>
>>17512902
I have an appointment with what, desu, seems like a seedy tire shop tomorrow. They're the only ones in town that have a used set for exactly what I'm looking for. I.e >>17513136

Every other place either doesn't have them at all or has something close like P235 55R 18.

What kind of dumb bullshit could they potentially try to tell me? Honestly, I just need to pass an inspection to use the car for work and then once I'm working, I'll save up for better ones at some point (soon) so I'm ok with low-tread, etc for right now.
>>
>>17512564
Don't cheap out on tires man, it's like buying and then using a used condom. Better to save and pay for actual quality.
>>
>>17513176
I know anon, and that's what I plan to do eventually. But it kind of caught me off guard and I need ones as cheap as possible asap. I'm debating buying them on credit but it's risky because I don't exactly have huge job security right now.
>>
>>17513167
Where do you live? I've never of failing inspection because of shit tires
>>
>>17513418
Central USA. The tires currently on my car are coming up on slicks basically.
>>
I just go to junkyards for my tires... $30 for a set of old tires, and maybe even wheels if you get lucky.

But I also drive very safely knowing my car is shit, and only go above 60 if im having fun.

Don't listen to these memespouting busriders, live frugal and be safe. When you can easily afford it, then buy some nice tires.
>>
>>17513506
I went to a local junk yard first, and the guy told me that he didn't think he had any of that size. He said he MIGHT have 2 somewhere and told me it'd be better if I just go ask some other places.
>>
>>17512564
>What should I look for or consider when buying used tires /o/? I'm poor.
Consider that major brand name tires with reasonable all season tread sell new at Sam's Club at $78 each. Or at least that is what I saw at my washington state sam's club last week.
>>
>>17512564
>What should I look for or consider when buying used tires
Look for bulges on the outside sidewalls. yuck
Do not accept any with torn or cut tire bead.
Check for patches inside.
Verify there are no nails or other things in that tire by running cloth inside and if it snags, there is a nail.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.