[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone red pill me on how brakes work? From what I understand,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

Can someone red pill me on how brakes work? From what I understand, they are more or less a function of grip since the energy is just transferred into the tires. Wouldn't in theory then it be possible to just put ridiculously oversized slicks on a Miata with huge ass rotors/calipers/pads and do some insane 60-0 or 100-0 stops? Or is there some other variable I am not accounting for in this?
>>
A Miata with huge slicks can't make it to 100?
>>
>>17511591
that's pretty much it, big sticky tires and big brakes on anything will make it stop good
>>
File: 6a2[1].png (565KB, 600x610px) Image search: [Google]
6a2[1].png
565KB, 600x610px
>>17511599
>>
>>17511591

Big brake kits are $$$$

But stopping so fast the blood rushes to your eyeballs is half the fun of a performance car
>>
File: Dark_b626ec_6192114.jpg (68KB, 900x597px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_b626ec_6192114.jpg
68KB, 900x597px
>>17511591
That would work, but the reason why they don't do this is because the rolling resistance is ass, and you would really feel it in such a weak car

Then you also have the fact that the Miata is very light, and the question then becomes wether or not the weight being shifted onto the front when braking is enough to fully utilize the grip of the tires. If not then there is no point, and you'd be better served with skinnier ones
>>
>>17511591
The coefficient of friction between your tires and the road surface dictate how fast you can stop. Stronger brakes and wider tires won't do much in terms of stopping distance.
>>
>>17511641

so you would have to upgrade your rubber to the point where your ABS won't kick in no matter how hard you slam your brakes?
>>
>>17511651
>upgrade your rubber to the point where your ABS won't kick in no matter how hard you slam your brakes
At that point stronger brakes will stop you slightly better. But I guess getting brakes that will always lock up your tires is cheaper and easier than finding legal rubber that outperforms your brakes.
>>
>>17511651
Sorta. Bigger brakes can take more abuse before they get too hot and start to fade, which is why people tend to upgrade them on track cars. It's not necessarily about stopping faster, it's more about consistently being able to stop fast.
>>
>>17511641
>stronger brakes and wider tires cant support a higher capacity for friction

Just kys my man
>>
>>17511651
Don't know if thats possible, when it comes to tires you have to take in account ambient temperatures and temperatures of the road and the tire as well.

Also soft tires don't last very long even with mundane day to day use.
>>
>>17511684
You can't really increase your contact patch with out fucking up the tire. So what he said is true.
>>
Bigger brakes = better heat management and dissipation and a better/firmer braking feel. Pretty much any road car can lock up the wheels with the stock brakes if you slam down on them, that's why ABS exists.

It's not just a simple case of bigger being better.
>>
>>17511698
>>17511693
>>17511591
>Set up cars specifically for braking and nothing else
>reverse drag racing

is this the new meme?
>>
>>17511826
I really wanna see the insane airbrakes competitive stopping would create.
>>
>>17511837
desu I would actually watch that

sounds like the sort of weird shit the japanese would do
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.