[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /o/ I have a 2012 Civic that I picked up a spare key for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 2013-accord-key-v-3d.jpg (85KB, 600x423px) Image search: [Google]
2013-accord-key-v-3d.jpg
85KB, 600x423px
Sup /o/
I have a 2012 Civic that I picked up a spare key for (it looks like pic related) so I can take it in the water while at the beach/water park. The guys at Honda mentioned when I fashioned the key that even this key has a chip in it though. If I get this wet, am I locked out of my car?
>>
>>17503661
>he bought the worst year civic
>>
>>17503661
If you're just using the spare key to unlock the doors it won't matter if it gets wet. The transponder only does anything when you're starting the car, not when you're unlocking the doors.
>>
>>17503661
how hard is it to just put it in a small zippy bag or something dumbass
>>
>>17503661
People seem to think that the moment water touches anything electronic, its ruined. So long as there's no current flowing through it while its wet, it will be fine
>>
>>17503683
Which year is that?
>>
>>17503725
Oh thanks bro! That's what I was actually wondering! I appreciate the input, tried looking for the answer, but evidently my google-fu is pretty weak.
>>
>>17503738
No I get that, but it'd likely fall out of my swimsuit if I tried. This way I can hook it to my suit like I would do with my older cars.
>>
>>17503809
Mine's a 2012
>>17503755
Yeah I'm one of said people. So really, when it dries off, even the chip inside is fine? That's actually interesting. Though I'd just be using to unlock the door like >>17503725 answered.
>>
The transponder on a valet key is solid state, as in no batteries, and it is molded inside the plastic. You would literally have to melt it to get it out.
>>
>>17503661
just hide the key with your shit you having laying on the beach

1) no one is going to steal ur shit
2) no one is going to steal a honda, much less find your honda in a certain sea of 10,000 hondas
>>
>>17503905
To chances are it wont get wet in the first place and will work regardless. Theres no actual computer type chip in the key, its rfid (think those weird stickers on certain products at the shops which set off the alarm when you walk through those poles)
>>
>>17504250
Well I wasn't really looking to get it out, was just seeing if my ass would be locked out of my car if the supposed chip got wet. >>17504284
Yeah that was going to be plan b.
>>
>>17504291
Oh I got ya. Thanks man!
>>
>>17503905
So 8th generation civic, what makes them so bad?
>>
8th gen civic a best.

t. '08 lx owner
>>
>>17504527
Oh I don't know. I actually like mine. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but it's a good ratio of quality/cost imo
>>
>>17503661
transponder is an rfid device. it contains no power source and is only powered when it nears the coil in the key switch. furthermore it is more than likely just a completely sealed plastic box with no way for water or anything to enter. you would have to microwave it to destroy the transponder.
furthermore the door locks are mechanical so you dont need a transponder to unlock them.
>>
>>17503661
Was at the lake yesterday. Regular Honda key was in my pocket.. I was in the water for like 30min until I noticed.

Set it on towel to dry. Shit was fine, started car and I drove away a few hours later.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.