[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I want to learn more about cars. at least enough to be able

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1499525263197.jpg (20KB, 300x166px) Image search: [Google]
1499525263197.jpg
20KB, 300x166px
So I want to learn more about cars.

at least enough to be able to talk to bros irl about cars

all I can really do is recognise brands and models.

what are some good resources to learn from and what are say....the first 5 things i should read or learn about to start me off then what should I branch off into?
>>
File: Lol.jpg (178KB, 552x900px) Image search: [Google]
Lol.jpg
178KB, 552x900px
>>
>>17502224
go start watching engineering explained on youtube.

learn how a motor works. learn suspension, learn common modifications styles.

if your only goal is to be able to talk to people about cars, just soak in as much information as you can about the mechaincs of everything.

The only reason us car guys know so much about cars is because of our desire to change things for the most part, at least with the friends I've got. All the shit I know is either from research, or first hand experience with wanting to change some aspect of the car for one reason or another.
>>
>>17502224

The first 5 things differs with what you want to accomplish with cars.

Do you want to go fast in a straight line?
Do you want to go fast around corners?
Do you want to build a fast car, or be a fast driver?
Do you only care about luxury
Just in it for A E S T H E T I C?

all are totally legitimate routes to take, but you need to answer these questions before we can tell you what to go learn
>>
>>17502379
out of those probably the ones that interest me most are handling, comfort and AESTHETICs
>>
File: IMG_1687.jpg (963KB, 3352x2514px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1687.jpg
963KB, 3352x2514px
Learn about cars the right way by taking an auto 50 class at your local community college. Learn how an engine works, what makes it work, and how to fix one.

I decided to specialize in fuel systems, ignition systems and drivability issues. I can't tell you how many times I went to look at a cool car for sale like an S30 280Z or an FC RX7 and had to turn it down because it ran but didn't run right when I was young, so I wanted to learn to fix these problems. Electricity can be a difficult pill to swallow but if it clicks in your head, it's a good skill set to know.

I'd also say to learn how to fix brake issues because dying in a fiery wreck probably isn't very fun
>>
>>17502428

>handling, comfort, and looks

Got it, learn your suspension shit.

There are different types, trucks use a solid axle/ leaf spring set up. (just search any of this stuff on youtube and you'll likely find someone explaining it)

Most sportscars use Mcpherson strut or double wishbone (the true master race). You should learn the differences in these, and how they are put together. There are tons of resources on youtube that explain suspension geometry and how to change the handling characteristics of your car for different styles of driving. Specific car forums can also be a bit of help here.

For cars going for looks, people use air suspension these days, they used to use hydraulics.

>comfort

check out VIP cars on any stance site (stancenation, canibeat, etc) for the guys that go balls to the wall with comfort/luxury. most important stuff in this sector is everyone uses air suspension, and lots, LOTS of custom interior work. Diamond stitched seats, leather everywhere, I'll admit I'm not an interior guy, so I dont know alot in the comfort department, more of a racecar guy lol.

>A E S T H E T I C S

This one is subjective, and people will fling shit about it all day. I like a modest, wide track oriented "stance" on a car, for some resources for aesthetically oriented builds for cars, go check out stancenation and canibeat, theyre the kings of that stuff.
>>
>>17502379
Going fast in a straight line and AESTHETIC interest me.
>>
>>17502489

>straight line speed

Learn how motor works, then start to research on where power is derived from and why. Torque generaly comes from adding displacement (volume of the cylinder chamber) in one way or another, while top end power generally comes from modifying the head or valvetrain of the motor.

Boost is also important in drag racing enviornments. There is nitrious, tubrochargers, superchargers, and prochargers. All of these can be researched on youtube.

>looks

subjective really, decide what style you like by exposing yourself to the car scene and seeing what different people do. Most aesthetic styles you'll come across organically and be able to make your own calls on what you like. after that you can start searching for your specific car in the style you like, and ask others what it took to get there. Instagram is great for this, I've messeged tons of people about the ways that their cars are set up while I build mine, just to have some extra feedback and Ideas rolling around in my head
>>
Get a job either selling parts or changing parts. YouTube didn't teach me 1/20th of what I got from actual experience.
>>
>>17502624
what employer in their right mind would give a job like that to someone that didnt know anything about cars?
>>
>>17502666
Get a job at Vatozone or similar. I didn't know shit and they hired me. Other option would be a tire tech, learn as you go. Gotta start somewhere muh negus
>>
>>17502666
For minimum wage, all they ask is that you show up sober, on time and be ready follow orders.
>>
>>17502224
Play racing games
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.