[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fug. I just bought my first shitbox, a 17 y/o silverado that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: DSC_0384.jpg (884KB, 2160x2099px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0384.jpg
884KB, 2160x2099px
fug. I just bought my first shitbox, a 17 y/o silverado that ran well before I got it. Parked it in my garage then went out of town in my main vehicle, came back and it won't start. Fast clicking coming from the passenger side under the hood, almost like the starter is trying to catch but instead the fast clicking. Yesterday when I did this the lights on the dash were dim and would flicker, now neither. Battery is good, alt is good, pls end my suffering
>>
It clicks repeatedly? What's the battery voltage?
>>
File: 1428376800529.jpg (2MB, 1106x1303px) Image search: [Google]
1428376800529.jpg
2MB, 1106x1303px
>>17499932

Dead battery or a poor/corroded connection.
>>
>>17499937
yea, every time I go for it its steady clicks until I let off the ignition. battery voltage is at 12, its good. even swapped from another vehicle in working order
>>
>>17499947
battery is fine. corroded connection where? it was a little shit by the bat but that's clean contact now.
>>
>>17499932
how do you know the battery is good? did you get it tested? if it sounds like it's trying to crank, it could be a fuel problem.
>>
>>17499968
yea, took it to that mick auto place O'reilly's and an autozone on my way back anyway. It's definitely trying, sucks
>>
>>17499985
bang on the fuel tank while cranking it.
>>
>>17499932
The clicking is the relay for the starter triggering over and over again do to insufficient electric power. There is enough juice to trigger the relay, but then the starter drains the remainder, the relay untrips, and it repeats.
So yeah, if you're certain the battery is ok, it's likely corrosion along the pathway to the starter.
>>
>>17499932
haha I'd kick a dent in their door this person is a little too self satisfied
>>
>>17499954
>corroded connection where?

Battery negative to frame ground. Also check the frame to engine block ground strap.
>>
>>17500250
>damaging somebody property over being "a little too self satisfied"
>>
>>17500175
This. Charge the battery and she will start right up. If you have a volt meter check the voltage when its charged. Should be 12.5. Check with vehicle running, should be at least 13.5v at idle. Check with truck off and !make a note of it then check the voltagwe again before you start it and make a note. Now if the alternator is charging then you should see your voltage ddrop obernight . means you have a draw somewhere or the battery might be on the way out. Hope this helps!

T. Mechanic for 16 years. Feel free to ask any questions
>>
>>17500389
you posted exactly what I said I wanna do lol, I've seen the error of my ways
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.