[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes a car off-road capable /o/? I'm not talking about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

What makes a car off-road capable /o/? I'm not talking about cars that are dedicated off-road, I'm talking about every-day/dd cars that purported to be off-road friendly. Pic related.
>>
>>17496170
Ground clearance and drivetrain
>>
>>17496170
locking differentials, suspension, ground clearance also the tires, tires, tires
Did I mention tires?
If you just want to drive on sand then you need to drop a few psi out of each tire on a car like that, even then you still run a high risk of getting stuck if you go into very dry sand
>>
>>17497775
This, also tires if you're talking any kind of mud, snow or wet grass. You can do just about anything that is vaguely roadlike with good all wheel drive and ground clearance, but nothing but the right tires is getting you up a dewy hillock or down a muddy track.
>>
File: IMG_0226.jpg (46KB, 600x379px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0226.jpg
46KB, 600x379px
>>17497775
Also the simpler the better
It also needs to not get easly damaged when offroading, and if it does, it needs to be easy and simple to fix/replace part that broke
>pic related
A shitbox loved in europe for how capable it were offroad
And it was capable because people didnt have to be really careful offroading it, it was really cheap and easy to fix
>>
>>17496170

I've had two Subaru Foresters -- first a 2008, then a 2003 (wife traded the '08 for a Wrangler and I bought the '03 after getting stationed in New England).
Neither the Outback or Forester have exceptional ground clearance, though if you are wanting something that's not going to get stuck if you take it in the grass then either should be fine honestly. When people say "off-road" people think of mudding, trails, etc, but I doubt that's what you're after.
I used to have an '88 Civic Wagovan FWD that was surprisingly good in the grass and dirt. I wouldn't recommend that car, though.
>>
>>17496170
I had exactly your pic as a my first car never really tried offroading but it was awesome driving in the snow. Mashing the gas to drift every corner
>>
>>17496170
a subaru will actually offroad better than a jeep simply because of how well they made the transfer case and awd system as well as the independent suspension makes for maximum traction, subarus also don't break down like an american pos
>>
File: 20131210_154728.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20131210_154728.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>17498284
Just found a pic I had
>>
File: IMG_20170529_142650532.jpg (2MB, 4016x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170529_142650532.jpg
2MB, 4016x1836px
I'd say experience and knowledge of what's around you is really important. Like not trying to go uphill from a stop in dry sand
>>
3k suburban
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.