[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have any idea how much weight these posts could support?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: RAV4-center-roof-tether.jpg (134KB, 687x558px) Image search: [Google]
RAV4-center-roof-tether.jpg
134KB, 687x558px
Anyone have any idea how much weight these posts could support? The factory brackets are flimsy, but I am talking about the bolt itself and if I were to put something heavier duty in it's place such as an anchor for rock climbing. Thinking of a way to hang a hammock from my car to a tree.
>>
>>17483222
Find one in a junkyard and keep adding weight until it breaks
>>
File: a_20160420_1304409654.jpg (56KB, 816x459px) Image search: [Google]
a_20160420_1304409654.jpg
56KB, 816x459px
>>17483239
I don't mean the bracket itself, I mean the load that the bolt (connected to the body) could support before failing. The factory on the left is the stock bracket, right is a climbing anchor. Significantly different geometry on both. Factory would undergo plastic deformation long before the climbing anchor, even though the gauge is similar.
>>
One and only bump
>>
>>17483631
Like this anon said, they are probably not made for stress over a long period of time, but they might take like, I dunno, 200-300 kg if they need but then they are toast.

Of course this is the internet and I might be wrong.
>>
Visualize standing on your roof in that spot and that's what you'd be doing if you hung from that bolt in a hammock
>>
>>17483222
Under the repeated rocking of a hammock load, the screw would deform and eventually tear through the metal. You cannot assume the strength of a post is purely the strength of the post itself. The post is mounted to something. That "something" also has a strength based upon whether it is a tapped hole, a mounting plate, or a mounting plate in a beam.
>>
>>17483222
>Anyone have any idea how much weight these posts could support?
If it breaks loose and the window is not open wide, the sudden breaking of metal could hit the window and break it since the hammock's vector is a downwards force. That causes the broken item to not just move outwards, but also downwards.

No idea if OP can fasten one end to the seat belt buckle and have that buckle OUTSIDE the window. Then OP only has to go to the junkyard and get the female buckle which he then fastens onto the hammock.

That would certainly allow for easy hammock detach. But he'd have to keep the window open widely due to the angle of the belts as one end is restrained by the reel at the floor of the car.
>>
File: parking_lot_mugging_walmart.png (18KB, 1232x396px) Image search: [Google]
parking_lot_mugging_walmart.png
18KB, 1232x396px
>>17483877
That might be better since the strain is divided between the takeup reel and the guide on the B-pillar.

Now we wait for OP to post a month from now "Help, I've been mugged while outdoors in my hammock"
>>
>>17483291
You're going to want to find out the bolt grade and type. Then you're going to want to learn the shear strength of the bolt in question.
>>
>>17485148
The bolt will just tear thru the sheet metal when it fatigues from the weight. Each time the hammock wiggles back and forth, that wiggling is transmitted back to the bolt. Just you bend metal a bunch of times to make it break, that wiggling creates stress points in the metal that eventually weaken and fail.
>>
There are three anchors along the roof there. I was going to use at least two.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.