[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any way to avoid paying sales tax in the USA? I thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 0219.jpg (111KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
0219.jpg
111KB, 800x600px
Is there any way to avoid paying sales tax in the USA? I thought private sale was the way to go, but apparently you pay sales tax at the DMV? Am i understanding this right?
>>
File: maxresdefault (11).jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (11).jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
>>17466552

Just pay the goddamn taxes. If you can't afford it, you can't afford to buy a car.
>>
you can lie about how much you paid but they might go by the appraised value regardless
i've bought like 10 "$300" motorcycles, they're a bit easier to lie about
>>
Ontario charges you taxes for private sales because this province is complete fucking cancer. Basically everyone lies about what they paid for the car in order to spend less. My $5000 MR2 officially costed $500.
>>
File: 1483330445357.jpg (73KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1483330445357.jpg
73KB, 612x612px
As far as the DMV is concerned, all of my cars were purchased for $100 2 days prior (in Michigan there is an additional fee if you don't apply for a title within 15 days of purchase).
>>
>>17466562
i can afford it but it makes me really butthurt to pay $2000 in taxes on my already pricey car. that's like a years worth of gas
>>
>>17466571
>>17466592
so how do you lie? i do not know the person i might buy from, so will he impede me?

the car is around $28,000... i wouldn't mind saying $22,000
>>
>>17466576
>lying on the internet
ontario charges tax on appraisal or red book value
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 254x190px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 254x190px
>>17466552
Why is that bird so sad?
>>
>>17466596
He'll probably want something that expensive properly documented since it could affect federal taxes so the odds of him going along with a lower prices are not as good as it would be if it were some sub-$5K shitbox.

And it may well be irrelevant anyway since many States have gone to using value guides on private sales instead of buyer/seller statements. I got burned on a 76 F150 that I paid $1500 for but the value guide said was worth $8K now (driven by restorations) and I had to pay tax on the $8K.
>>
>>17466650
damn, that's what i was afraid of. well, i guess i'll go through carmax/carvana/online to buy it since they process tax. no point in risking private if i'm not going to save money
>>
>>17466552
>Is there any way to avoid paying sales tax in the USA?
You can lowball the book value by a little bit and get away with it. But if you lowball too much, the the state will go no and tax you for the full value and possibly a penalty for trying to lie to them. If you gift the car, the state uses the car's book value when the title is transferred. The tax is assessed then. I have my old car away for free, and it was taxed as if it were sold at the book value. This prevents people from cheating the system by giving the car away but accepting cash under the table.
>>
>>17466571
I said my $4500 car cost $3000 on the form. I got a letter saying it was suspiciously low and saying I should give them the extra money if I paid more for it. I didn't and they didn't do shit, they can't prove anything unless the other guy testifies against you.
>>
File: 20160126_134848.jpg (830KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20160126_134848.jpg
830KB, 1600x1200px
Have an LLC based out of Oregon and purchase the car as a company car. That's how this F40 was sold, they actually picked the car up and trailered it to Oregon to do the sale, not sure why the car had to physically be there though. Pretty clever, wealthy people come up with some interesting ways to avoid the man sticking it to them.
>>
>>17466571
In my state, if they feel the price of the car is well below market price they will tax you at market value.

Because of this, you should have a bill of sale stating the repairs needed so that the car has the lowest market value possible (new engine? new tranny?)
>>
depends on the state. In Texas you are charged tax based on the assessed value or the sales price, the higher number wins. 9/10 the assessed number is way higher then the sales price. When I bought my used ZL1 a few years ago Texas assessed it's value at 65k and on the used GTR it was 100k. I didn't pay anywhere close to that for either of those cars. The ZL1 I paid 45k and on the GTR it was 76k. How Texas comes up with the assessed value I have no clue because it's not based on blue book. The only good thing is if you buy from any type of dealer or the car is over 25 years old they don't go by the assessed value.

I really wish someone would take the state to court on the whole assessed value because they are taking more taxes then the should on any private party vehicle sale and giving an unfair advantage to dealers since they don't have to follow the same law.
>>
>>17467488
Wow that's pretty cool. Would love to find out more about that as I already do a lot of shopping in Oregon since I live in Washington. Getting a car tax free would be awesome
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.