[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Break mode With cvts does break mode just lower the gearing ratio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1280px-Toyota_Super_CVT-i_01.jpg (414KB, 1280x1613px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Toyota_Super_CVT-i_01.jpg
414KB, 1280x1613px
Break mode
With cvts does break mode just lower the gearing ratio or does it do something else in addition
>>
>>17456367
Jesus Christ that's horrifying, do you just have to replace the entire transmission when it breaks?
>>
>>17456375
There are places that will rebuild them for you, but with most autotragics, you generally just slam in a new one
>>
>>17456367
What's the "belt" made of in a car CVT?
>>
>>17456845
Its just steel.
>>
>>17456367
I hate these things with a fucking passion. There are four new shitboxes that I want but they all have CVTs as standard. This truly is the end times.

OPs pic is what evil really looks like.
>>
>>17456381
>but with most autotragics, you generally just slam in a new one

>most autos
>not commonly rebuilt

a CVT has nothing in common with a traditional auto trans you fucking mongoloid

autos are easy to rebuild if you're not a chimp
>>
>>17456367
Bought my wife a Patriot with a CVT in it.
Got rid of the damn thing in just over one year. Lost $5k.

Stupid thing would wig out if you punched it to get out of a hazardous situation. My wife and I almost got hit dead when it sperg'd out while crossing a major highway. She had her foot to the floor and the thing was barely moving 5mph
>>
>>17456900
>go to merc for tranny rebuild
>lol get fucked heres a new one
>5k +labor
Have fun rebuilding those zf 8/9 that everyone uses, mr scientist
>>
>>17456895
>I don't like constantly being at maximum power when I want to
>I hate fuel economy when I want it
>I love the feeling of being jerked around by a dimwitted slushbox
>I need a manual because my shitbox is basically a racecar and I need it to feel like one
>I believe the unfounded reliability issues claimed by people on a Lithuanian scatter plot exchange site

CVTs are the future if they can design them to handle big horsepower. Your shitbox doesn't have that, so the CVT is already your king.
>>
>>17457687
>>I don't like constantly being at maximum power when I want to
see >>17457299

>I hate fuel economy when I want it
The fuel economy isnt actually that much better, if at all, then just using a traditional 5-6 speed auto.

>I love the feeling of being jerked around by a dimwitted slushbox
Being jerked around pretty much doesnt exist anymore ever since automakers abandoned 3-4 speed autos

>I need a manual because my shitbox is basically a racecar and I need it to feel like one
I dont think I said anything about manuels

>I believe the unfounded reliability issues claimed by people on a Lithuanian scatter plot exchange site
The unreliability of CVTs have pretty well established. Honda seems to be doing ok with theirs though. Reliability aside, CVTs are maintenance hogs.

There are zero benefits using a CVT over a 6+ speed auto. They are the maymayest of all the maymays.
>>
>>17456375
actually, that is pretty simple compared to normal autos and dct.

>>17456845
whale sinew.
>>
>>17457788
Simple in concept but complex in execution, seeing as how materials programming have to be robust as to take normal abuse.
>>
>>17456367
Im excited for this tech, and hope it overcomes its teething troubles. manuals a re more fun, but cvt is more practical for commuter cars. that being said, I don't intend on personally buying one any time soon
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.