[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my POS Chrysler decided to spit out a spark plug again, this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: ss+(2017-06-29+at+07.27.49).jpg (379KB, 1083x789px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-06-29+at+07.27.49).jpg
379KB, 1083x789px
So my POS Chrysler decided to spit out a spark plug again, this time fucking over the threads pretty badly. So basically I can't tighten a spark plug on my 4th cylinder and thus I don't have a working car. You guys know anything I could do to fix it DIY(as cheap as possible)? "Redo" the threads on the head or something? Fix the spark plug in with plastic cement?

I know the real answer to my problems would be getting a new car but can't. Need to fix this asap.

Picture sorta related, it's the block in question. I tried to demonstrate why you can't really swap out a single cylinder on a i4, when he asked why won't I just do that.
>>
The highest temp epoxy you can find

On the threads liberally, but not excessive.

This is your last shot.
Go for it. Ghetto as fuck.

Good luck. I had a dr350 that the engine case was held with epoxy.

You may have some trouble with heat, but you'll have to chance it. There's no other option.
>>
File: 1440832215718.jpg (35KB, 426x374px) Image search: [Google]
1440832215718.jpg
35KB, 426x374px
>>17451223
Fuck dude, that's sounds ghetto as shit. Would much rather chance out the head myself(not really doe). Found a spark plug thread repair tap and die type deal for 10 bucks at the local autozone type store. There's still some thread left in the hole.
>>
>>17451223
this.

or use a thread chaser to try and 'massage' the threads back. or use a thread insert type system (e.g. helicoil) and try something like that.
>>
See that's the thing.

He's basically at the point where the head is fucked. Your not gonna get those threads back if this has happened multiple times.

Ghetto as shit last grab at a straw, if it works for any length of time though that is more use than where he's at now.

You've got an engine shaped object.
Time to get bubba on it. Just might work.

Worst case scenario is exactly where we're at now. Nothing to lose everything to gain.

That Dr of mine still pops up on Craigslist from time to time

Saw it at least two owners removed from me last summer.
>>
>>17451319

It's happened more than once, best to not grind any more material that might promote adhesion outta there.
>>
File: 1447157031521.jpg (24KB, 364x366px) Image search: [Google]
1447157031521.jpg
24KB, 364x366px
Fuck guys, probably going to try helicoil on it, even doe it's probably less permanent fix than ghetto ass epoxy fix.

It's a complicated situation where I really don't own the car but it's still "mine". Dad doesn't want to see ghetto shit on cars. He'd rather tow it to shop to get it fixed. I don't have the time now to deal with that shit, so need to try semi-legit this. Worst case scenario it will not work but best case scenario I drive it for couple of months, when I'll get myself a better whip.

>>17451320
First time it happened the threads weren't fucked much at all.
>>
File: 5141S-short.jpg (65KB, 415x281px) Image search: [Google]
5141S-short.jpg
65KB, 415x281px
>>17451324
if the existing threads are fucked, then drill them out and use some type of threaded insert.

pic related
>>
Pull the injector plug and run on three cylinders for a while.
>>
File: 967353.jpg (52KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
967353.jpg
52KB, 640x640px
>>17451369
That's the plan my dude.

It's nightmare to figure out how to get around without a car when you live in the around nowhere
>>
>>17451223
DO NOT DO THIS
There are thread inserts specifically made for fixing crossthreaded spark plug holes, and they do not require any epoxy.
>>
>>17451357

In this case run the helicoil by your dad first.

The people who call epoxy ghetto and show the sleeves, I guarantee have never done that with the block in the car.

You're potential for getting shaved metal in the head is... Great.
>>
>>17451397

Which you would need if and when the epoxy fails.

Then the process for installing would be exactly the same. With the same likelihood for success or failure.

Do you guys not take logic in school anymore?
>>
File: laughs.jpg (233KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
laughs.jpg
233KB, 1000x1000px
>Chrysler
>>
>>17451395
Be sure to take the head off, or you're gonna fill the cylinder with metal shavings.
>>
File: swarf_in_tap_flutes.jpg (96KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
swarf_in_tap_flutes.jpg
96KB, 1000x665px
>>17451357
When you tap the threads for the helicoil, make sure to apply a generous amount of grease on the bit so most of the metal shavings will stick to it instead of falling into the cylinder. Pic related. It will make your life a lot easier.
Don't do the whole thread in one pass, just make a couple of turns, remove the tap, clean it, apply grease again, run a few more turns, repeat. Less stuff will fall down this way.

Also before you start, move the engine so the piston in question is at the top (raise one wheel, engage highest gear, turn raised wheel until crank rotates to where you want it) so it will be easier to clean.

Also try to blow compressed air into the plug hole when you are done to clean as much shavings as possible.

If you are really anal about debris in there, just probe the cylinder with something small and sticky to pick up what's left in there.

A little bit of metal in the cylinders won't do damage, it will simply be shot out of the exhaust while you crank it, you might want to be a bit more careful if the car is turbo tho.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.