[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how hard is it to replace your timing belt, water pump, and thermostat?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (76KB, 757x403px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 757x403px
how hard is it to replace your timing belt, water pump, and thermostat? i've only done the most basic engine maintenance before and am trying to decide whether i should pony up like $700 and have a shop do it like a fag, or just do it myself for the price of parts.
>>
>>17442881
Do you already have the tools? Because if not, you're gonna have to factor in the cost of tools. It helps to have a Haynes/Chilton repair manual too, my man. Also lastly, watching a couple youtube videos of some jagoffs doing the jobs might help you decide which ones you want to replace on your own and which ones you want to have a shop do.
>>
I have access to limited autoomotive tools(like sockets and shit, nothing specialty) and could get my dad's help. although hes a woodworker and only like a lvl 6 mechanic. is this something i could knock out in one saturday?
>>
>>17442889
would i need some purpose-built specialty tool? ive got access to a fair amount of stuff
>>
>>17442896
I dont know what country you're in because in the USA I dont think ASE mechanics are graded by number

>>17442905
What's the year + make & model? Plug that into youtube and see yourself
>e.g.: ("2005 Subaru Outback thermostat replacement")
>>
>>17442909
the lvl 6 thing was a joke, meaning he's worked on his own cars but isnt a master mechanic by any means
>>
>>17442918
Ok well through youtube you should be able to figure out which jobs you can do yourself (or with your dad to help) and which jobs you might need a shop for
>>
>>17442881
You motherfuckers never post the most important piece of information.

What car? What engine?
>>
>>17442881
if you have to ask you should just pay someone to do it.
>>
>>17442909
>>17442928
just checked out some videos and fuck man that looks a lot more involved than i thought. i need to stop being a pussy but i just cant afford to fuck something up..
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 1106x1012px
>>17442974
i think youre right. i really want to get a better understanding of engines and be able to fix my own shit, but its hard when you work a faggy office job full-time and dont have a garage or any tools..
>>
>>17442996
You're never gonna learn until you start, boy. Learn how to do simple shit like replace your spark plugs, air filter, change your oil + oil filter, and more.
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 850x563px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 850x563px
>>17442966
'08 subaru forester. i thought it was like changing the oil and only varied slightly from car to car. but whatever im just gonna spend all of my goddamn money to get someone who knows what theyre doing to handle it anyways

>captcha: select all images with belts
>>
>>17442881
Speaking of cooling systems, has anyone here had experience with repairing cracks in plastic reservoir tanks? Mine cracked today and I don't want to fork over the shekels to get a new one installed if I can help it.
>>
>>17443031
Meant to say radiator outlet tank, not the reservoir.
>>
>>17443031
You don't. You just replace the whole rad.
>>
Judging by your lack of knowledge and motivation to google the procedure to do said task I would say just pay the shop. That 700$ quote won't include a new tensioner or water pump either, though it doesn't matter as much with NA cars.

Also, DOHC is a tit complex and risky for a half assed job compared to a SOHC non interference motor.

Practice wrenching more and perhaps one day.
>>
>>17442881
Thermostat and water pump are completely doable with regular hand tools since they are basically bolt on.

Timing chain/belt not so much. It can be done but you need to be sure you know how to get it back on point, notch or whatever...
>>
it's not just replacing said items, there is an important step that is making sure the timing marks line up with said belt

other than that, you're good to go

it'll take all day, but thatll be the best $300-400 youve earned in your life trust me on that

the ONLY specialized tool is one absolutely worth having if you want to do it again, or not nigger-rigg multiple tools to compensate, is the Subaru crank pulley wrench so you can undo the crankshaft pulley bolt

you CAN do it. People with zero experience have definitely done it before with less knowledge or willingness to learn than you.

Timing marks are just lining up an arrow on a wheel with a line on a belt and doing it again with corresponding wheels/lines on other pulleys.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.