[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the practicality of turning a Subaru Forester into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0030.jpg (141KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.jpg
141KB, 1000x563px
What's the practicality of turning a Subaru Forester into an off roader? I saw one on the road and was wondering how practical it really is.
>>
it has a hard to service engine, an exceedingly expensive drive type and not great ground coverage
its a dumb platform and idc fuck you
>>
>>17439339
What makes the engine hard to service? Just bullshit placement/arrangement of parts?
>>
>>17439323

Any $2000 four wheel drive pickup off craigslist with a camper top is more practical than a family wagon with AWD.
>>
>>17439323
Best you'll do with it will be a reasonably comfy forest trail/camping trail with it. Its biggest enemy is lack of robustness and the fact that it lacks locking differentials to keep you from getting stuck.
>>
I have a gl with 33in bfg mud terrains. Its under powered breaks almost every time i wheel it. But it has bitchin ground clearance. Short narrow light chassis. Puts jeeps and trucks twice its size to shame.
>>
>>17439398
Change oil in one and go get a tetanus booster.
>>
It doesn't have a transfer case. So the AWD system is weaker. It has a unibody frame which gets weaker with any dent you put in it. No low range (though I think some first gens had something like it) and a weak engine.
>>
>>17439323
Not at all practical.

You'll surprise people with what it can do, BUT it will still be far less capable than the average stock 4x4 pickup or SUV and will struggle in areas where they have no issue. Due to differences in design, it will wear faster and brake parts more often than a typical 4x4 and you'll find issues arising that would never be an issue for a typical 4x4.

Very small lift just for clearance and slightly larger than stock ATs or MTs will make it good for camping, but again most any SUV would be even better.
>>
>>17442079
Owned several Subarus and I'm a very avid /out/doorsmen, what you said is 110% correct. Great for light camping, however even then it doesn't get THAT far out innawoods where you're completely away from ANY stray cars passing by.

Next car I get will be a 4Runner or something that has at the very least a transfer case with a locking rear diff.

As soon as my Outback shows signs
>>
>>17442617
* signs of major mechanical failure.
>>
>>17442008
What?

>Drain plug not near anything...
>Oil filter right by the drain plug...
>Don't need a funnel to add oil after...

I really don't see the problem.
>>
File: 1496891548632.png (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1496891548632.png
8KB, 250x250px
>>17439339
>>17442008
Stop spreading this bullshit. Subarus are easy to work on. I would know, I do all my own maintenance and repairs even including the headgaskets. Just because you have to remove the air filter and battery (oh no, the horror!) to change the spark plugs on a dohc model does not make everything else harder too. Everything else is all right on top.
>>
>>17441995
No you don't.
>>
File: 5785678.jpg (86KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
5785678.jpg
86KB, 640x640px
>>17439323
Just get a Crown Victoria mate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI
Mind the lame royalty free background music.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.