[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a trap to buy a used WRX? I know new it's a good car

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12

File: 1232331075_ffZZR-M.jpg (83KB, 600x393px) Image search: [Google]
1232331075_ffZZR-M.jpg
83KB, 600x393px
Is it a trap to buy a used WRX? I know new it's a good car but used I have no feedback from people around me. What do you guys have on 3rd Gen WRX?
>>
File: 157a43ee0c8a8ca9ab5bfc7896d6b59c.jpg (184KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
157a43ee0c8a8ca9ab5bfc7896d6b59c.jpg
184KB, 1024x684px
>>
>>17429715
All autistic memes aside, they're solid cars with tons of aftermarket but the prices on used ones that aren't clapped out shitboxes are so close to buying brand new that it's basically not worth it.
>>
>>17429715
Ask NASIOC, they'll know better than the cunts on here
>>
>buying a gasket-blowing, worse driving mitsubishi evo
>Ever
>>
File: all-subaru-wrx-modified-2017-10.jpg (57KB, 500x454px) Image search: [Google]
all-subaru-wrx-modified-2017-10.jpg
57KB, 500x454px
>>
>>17430048
go buy a new evo then
>oh wait
>>
>>17430048
Evos are such a fucking meme, they're so hard to find, ugly as fuck, overrated, overpriced and nobody wants a fucking Mitsubishi.
>>
>>17430108
>>17430087
yet they're still better than a WRX, and won't blow head gaskets in 90k miles
>>
>>17430118
evos and stis compete, not evos and wrxs you stipid fuck.
>>
>>17430118
Evos are the non-Samsung or LG androids, they may perform but let's be honest, who wants that off-brand shit.
>>
>>17430147
>buying something that is worse for brand recognition

Subaru fans really are the Apple fans of the car world
>>
>>17430035

This, sadly.

The only reasonably priced ones are going to have some sort of looming issue that the owner is itching to get away from.

I bought my WRX in 2011, forget exactly the number I paid for it but I think it was 25,xxx or thereabouts.

Drove it, thought it was great, got extremely hospital-tier sick for year or two and barely drove it.

5 years later it only had 16,000 miles on it and I'd kept it in autistically well maintained shape with minimal mods (when I wasn't busy dying)

Sold it to a dealer (as a trade) for 20,000.
They turned around and put it on the lot at 26,000.

Seeing as how you can buy a brand new one for about that much, the only reason would be if you had a hard on over the "wide body" hatchback style of 2011-2014.
>>
I'd buy a 2015 WRX. New and more efficient engine and transmission. You can buy a 2015 base trim for ~20-22k with around 30-40k miles.
>>
>>17430152
This is what you look like coming home with a newly bought Evo.
>>
File: all-subaru-wrx-modified-2017-162.jpg (178KB, 1024x642px) Image search: [Google]
all-subaru-wrx-modified-2017-162.jpg
178KB, 1024x642px
>>
>>17429715
I have a used WRX that's my dd and beater, so I'll try to give some input

I assume you're looking at ~08s; mine's a 2007, I got it bone stock and it was a 1 owner, mechanically sound aside from needing brakes. They're fun to drive and relatively reliable, and if you do preventative maintenance recommended on NASIOC they'll last you many miles.

Obviously the STi is better (DCCD, not locked at 50/50, other goodies etc) and I would have gotten one if I didn't already have a fun week-end car and if I wasn't parking in bad parking lots. I just couldn't justify getting an STi and paying the extreme mark up that comes with it just to dd it and have it put up with abuse.

My advice to you if you're planning on buying one would be
>avoid clapped out/modded ones at all cost
>determine your needs; if you want a reliable dd, get the wrx if you want a fun car get the STi
>be aware STis are heavily vape taxed
hence why I said before if its a dd get a wrx; you wouldn't want to spend a large sum on an STi just to have it put up with the abuse a dd does
>check maintenance history of the car you're buying (like any other)
>watch for rust
Probably not too common on the 3rd gens, but on anything before check the rear quarter panels, rear doors and under the front rocker for rust. That's where they usually go first. If it has rust run away.
>don't rice it out, some aftermarket is ok but don't make the mistake of becoming a typical vape master
>>
>>17430275
>>17430156
OP here, thanks for the genuine inputs.
>>
>>17430320
They're good cars when you take car of them and don't do retarded aftermarket parts. I wouldn't let the stigma deter you from purchasing one, but as always drive one before you make your decision.
>>
>>17430156
Oh yeah, god help you if you want a WRX hatch. Your only option is used of course and you'll be paying a hatch-tax on top of the WRX-tax. I'm hopeful though that they'll reintroduce the WRX hatch based on their new "global platform" that debuted under the 2017 Impreza. I almost wanted to buy a 2017 Impreza hatch sport but I already own an n/a Subie and hate how under-powered it is. The new Impreza rides and handles pretty good but the dogged acceleration is a buzzkill and yes that's even with the 5MT. Obviously you can't bitch about sluggishness in a CVT, that's expected of them.
>>
>>17430320
>>17430374
To add, be wary of upgraded turbo's and stage-whatever-the-fuck "tunes". A clean stock one is worth the penny rather than some twenty year old's beat to hell shitbox that he's selling off to pay for school or whatever. Maintenance records are great to have too.
>>
>>17430399
This, absolutely. When I was buying mine I ran from anything with mods on it. Even a simple COBB AP should be enough to make you run away. It's not worth the risk.
>>
File: all-subaru-wrx-modified-2017-38.jpg (164KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
all-subaru-wrx-modified-2017-38.jpg
164KB, 960x960px
>>
>>17430412

To be fair Cobb's OTS maps are really conservative, so a WRX with an AP that's been properly installed is not necessarily a risk in an of itself.

However it should be a red flag worth investigating more, because there's no guarantee they even ran a test log to see if their OTS map was hitting appropriate target boost, or that they didn't get their "bro" who "does tunes" to mangle the thing.
>>
File: 1496545707463.jpg (113KB, 462x704px) Image search: [Google]
1496545707463.jpg
113KB, 462x704px
>>17430485
>there's no guarantee they even ran a test log to see if their OTS map was hitting appropriate target boost, or that they didn't get their "bro" who "does tunes" to mangle the thing.

That's essentially why I avoided them, just didn't want to risk having one the owner messed up with. Although I may be a hypocrite because I've tossed around the idea of getting a COBB AP for my wrx
>>
>>
>>17430499

If I were in the market I would say talk to the owner as opposed to dismissing outright.

Ask "what map are you running" to start. If it's an OTS ask them about how they figured out if they needed the high, low, or normal wastegate map. If they look at you like you've grown three extra heads, walk away. If they were "tuned" by anything other than a top notch reputable shop, walk away.

TL;DR If you get coherent answers from what seems to be a well adjusted human being you probably have little to risk. If you get vape-bro mouth breather dodging the questions with shit like "I dunno but its fast yo," run.
>>
>>17430551
Will keep in mind if I ever purchase another WRX or STi in the future. But still that's good advice for OP
>>
>>17430551
>If you get vape-bro mouth breather dodging the questions with shit like "I dunno but its fast yo," run.
kek
>>
>>17430048
>gasket blowing
That's only the NA 2.5 from 1995-2004.

t. I own an NA 2.5 that blew it's headgaskets
>>
File: DGMSTI.jpg (132KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
DGMSTI.jpg
132KB, 960x720px
>>
>>17430910
Even the 2007s have HG issues. Not catastrophic internal leaks, but I have one that leaks a lot of oil/coolant from the HG. But nothing internal
>>
File: evo.jpg (271KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
evo.jpg
271KB, 1600x1200px
>>17430108
>looks like a fucking samurai helmet
>"ugly"
shit opinion, desu
>>
>>
>>17430118
Just past 160k on original head gaskets deal with it nerd
>>
>>17431076
>rally car
>this low

how do you even get that thing around
>>
>>17431146
Do you actually believe production cars meant to be street driven are rally cars?
>>
>>17430147
>muh brund recognition

holy shit, shut the fuck up you nigger-sucking faggot.
>>
>>17431146
It's probably on airbags
>>
>>17430152
When I bought my WRX my uncle said: "I thought Subaru only sold to lesbians?!"

So I blew a vape cloud in his face and said: "I like pussy too."
>>
>>17431319
If anyone ever makes this joke at me (hasn't happened yet) my plan is to reply "yeah I'm a lesbian" then flex a 'cep and blow a vape cloud to drive home the point. I don't vape tho so I gotta take care of that.

Any vape tips? Every time I go shopping for a setup I fall into analysis paralysis =/
>>
>>17431363
is this yet another layer of irony for you or are you being serious?
>>
>>17430485

(1/2)
I have a 2017 WRX for a DD.
1k mile brake in at variable revs under 4500rpm. I was really disciplined. After break in, I never went full throttle until 5min after the coolant gauge hit operating temp.

At 5k miles I put on twin boomba catch cans. Drained cans at 8k, got a drop out of the low side and a couple teaspoon from the high side.

At 9k miles I put on Cobb AP3 Stage 1 93 octane tune. I should have got the Accessport day one. Drivability is so much better without rev hang. On stock tune the throttle is progressive, with AP3 the throttle is 1 to 1.

Buying used: Ask the owner direct questions, and turn on your bullshit detector:
Did you break the car in?
If yes, ask how he did it.
Ask for maintenence records.
Ask about mods and when they where done, and by who.
Ask to be driven by the owner, ask the questions during the ride.
Observer the sellers behavior, driving habits: Shifting, where/when he shifts, at a stop, does he put it in neutral foot off the clutch(good) or does he leave it in first and hold the clutch down for the red light(bad).
If he is driving like a grandma ask for him to do a pull. If he drive like a maniac, ask him to drive as smooth as possible, so you can listen how she cruises.
Turn the radio off, say you want to hear it run while he drives. If it makes a weird or unfamiliar sound don't acknowledge it to the seller. Just take note: he might say something he may not.

*I started this post with the level of detail the seller should be able to talk about casually.

Then ask to drive the car on the way back. Drive polite first. Ask to do a pull from a soft launch. Do this on a straight. You never know what the seller may say, but you'll probably get a lot of hints. On the straight and level talk hand off briefly, accelerate moderatly, then brake moderately, check for pulling/drift/alignment. Let' the suspect, I mean seller run his mouth or give excuses, listen for the ring of truth.
>>
>>17429715
You're a trap buying a used WRX. But traps aren't gay.
>>
>>17431498
(2/2)
Don't argue or challenge the seller if he sounds like he is lying, trust your gut. Silence on your part may make him try to win you over, and even lower the price at negotiation.

Get his story as much as possible. Ask if you can take the car to a mechanic. If yes corroborate the story. If not, inspect the vehicle as best you can after the drive. Bring a flashlight. Walk around the whole thing. Now is the time to ask about damage, accidents, scraps dents dings missing parts (populist etc.) Ask how these anomalies occurred, again don't challenge the answers he gives. TRUST YOUR GUT.
Good luck.
>>
>>17431363
Jokes aside, I don't vape. I smoke cigars but not in my car. No food or drinks in my ride either. Tar is a Sonofabitch to clean from tinted windows.
>>
>>17429715
They're good cars. People just like to sell them at stupid fucking high prices. Pull the trigger. You should like it.

>t. Mustang driver.
>>
>>17431541
I ment to type 'pop clips' not populist...
>>
>>17431498
Cars are already broken in-factory, it's one of the oldest myths that doesn't seem to die.
>>
>>17429715

WRX's of all years have a real thing for destroying brake rotors. I barely use my brakes at all on my 05 sedan and have somehow managed to warp 2 sets of rotors in just 8 months. The pads look virtually unused, but the rotors get fucked up. It's just a matter of time... budget front rotors 2x into your yearly upkeep costs.
>>
>>17431706
Get better pads. Your rotors aren't fucked, your pads are just leaving deposits on them.

Or just get Autozone Duralast Gold rotors with the lifetime warranty.

>>17430162
Do this, I wouldn't bother paying $12-18k for a 2009-14 WRX when I can pay a little more and get a newer, more reliable FA20 WRX or a Evo X. Especially when they're still VERY similar all around to 02-07 WRXs going for $5-8000 all day long.
>>
File: 1485741388209.png (443KB, 555x555px) Image search: [Google]
1485741388209.png
443KB, 555x555px
>>17431688
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance-2017.html
>>
>>17432892
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wahIlGFtgbs&list=PLEoPoBP_WOO6iP4pExYOJD2Zzxti341Fz&index=2

Get on my level.
>>
>>17433044
Cool video.
https://youtu.be/oklqJnm7_TY
>>
>>17433065
Isn't that the faggot who tried telling us you should double clutch on a manual? Kek
>>
>>17431498

Honestly though this kind of applies for any car - but I get your point that it's especially important when it comes to modified cars.
>>
>>17433172
He might be... Faggotry aside, double clutching in a synchro mesh trans should not be necessary, but can be useful in specific conditions(when your trans is shitty).

I had a 2010 Gen Coupe RSpec. The Rev hang was so fucking bad through all of the gears, 5-6 gear synchro was bogus, plus sloppy dmf, and general drive train lash; I would double clutch just to drive smooth. Alas double clutching should not be necessary, but may be useful in sub part shitbox.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.