[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that a car's handling can change based on how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: lifted_house.png (642KB, 609x460px) Image search: [Google]
lifted_house.png
642KB, 609x460px
Is it true that a car's handling can change based on how high the engine is revved and how does that work?
>>
File: 007.webm (1MB, 1042x578px) Image search: [Google]
007.webm
1MB, 1042x578px
>>17389578
yes you go faster when the engine is revved high, and so your suspension needs to do more work
>>
>>17389606
I mean different how well it works, not how much it has to work. Different in that the handling can be improved while at high revs, where the car would have been more difficult to control if you didn't rev as high.
>>
Kinda, it's more about the amount of torque you can get to the wheels, which changes as you rev higher and change gears.

Being in a low gear at high RPM and coasting into the corner off-throttle causes the drive wheels to resist the forward movement of the car, which causes weight transfer which greatly affects handling. In a RWD car, the back end will stabilize and pull the car into line as it proceeds through the corner, and in a FWD car, the engine braking that occurs can shift the weight to the front, creating more positive turn-in.

if you are in a high gear at cruising RPM, the engine cannot transmit much torque to the ground, nor does engine braking have much of an effect, creating a loose, unstable feel in RWD cars and causing understeer in FWD cars while cornering.

It is always smart to revmatch and go down a gear before cornering, as you gain stability and precision, especially in rain or snow.
>>
>>17389641
I should also note that being able to put torque to the ground in low gears will also allow a driver of a RWD car to precisely control how much the car can turn, and allows a FWD car to yank itself straight if the back end starts sliding. In high gears, a RWD car cannot push itself around the corner by skidding the rear wheels and a FWD car will just spin into the trees without power going to the front wheels.
>>
>>17389627
it's called the gyroscopic effect, it's what keeps motorcycles from falling over
>>
>>17389711
>it's called the gyroscopic effect, it's what keeps motorcycles from falling over
Centripetal Force* honey.
>>
>>17389808
No its the gyroscope effect
>>
>>17389834
No sir.
>>
>>17389845
You are on the internet right now, why don't you see the difference for your self
>>
>>17389854
Because i know the difference. It's simple physics sweetie.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170618-000949.png (332KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170618-000949.png
332KB, 1440x2560px
>>17389862
Real tough
>>
>>17389869
>axis of rotation
you do know they're talking about corkscrewing?
Yes if you're doing a barrel roll on your motorcycle you're probably in for a world of hurt but that's now what's preventing the motorcycle from falling over on a lean.
>>
>>17389884

that picture is retarded

someone who knows their shit wouldn't label centrifugal force on a diagram
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.