[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting to buy a tool kit to work on my 1JZ. Do I need to buy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1.png (235KB, 955x636px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
235KB, 955x636px
Starting to buy a tool kit to work on my 1JZ. Do I need to buy shit like snap on or is el cheapo stuff like this gucci?
>>
>>17389476
for hand tools, buy 5 of each from harbor freight
never feel bad when you break one
>>
how do u own something with a 1j and dont have tools lmao
>>
I don't have any specific tool brands to recommend, but I'll definitely tell you now that nothing is more frustrating than getting halfway through a job on your car or swapping parts and having a wrench bend/snap on you, or a socket round out or snap the spring, etc.

Probably don't need to break the bank on tools, but at least don't scrape the bottom of the barrel. Plus if you get stuck at a midway point and that's your only car you're kinda SOL on going to a parts store to get another tool.
>>
>>17389476
>tools with painted finish

Are you serious?

I've had great luck with Tekton tools lately - they've come a LONG way, and are priced reasonably on Amazon.

Get 6 points, not 12... unless you have 12 pointed fasteners. Forget the memes and 4chan arguments - just get 6 points and spare yourself the trouble.

For difficult to manage fasteners, especially Allen bolts, get really good bits - SK or Hazet are probably the best for metric.

Order of purchase:
1. Complete 1/2" drive sockets and ratchet, with a breaker bar, extensions, and a wobble fitting
2. Complete screwdriver set - not a click drive screwdriver. Real screwdrivers.
3. Complete ratcheting combo wrench set
4. Complete Allen/star/torx bits for ratchet...whichever your car uses.
5. Torque wrench. Always use FSM torque...always.
6. Plier set - offset adjustable will come in most handy, but get good long needle nose, too.

This will get you through 90 percent of what you'll do. Then add:

1. 3/8 and 1/4 drive sockets and ratchets - handy for smaller sizes.
2. Other specialty tools for your make and model.
>>
File: 40457488_614.jpg (44KB, 614x461px) Image search: [Google]
40457488_614.jpg
44KB, 614x461px
If Canadian, Canadian tire's brand (mastercraft) for everything. Actually pretty good quality, lifetime warranty, and you don't even need a reciept. I just returned a 5 year old torque wrench I broke from my own stupidity without a receipt and they swapped it for a new one no questions asked.

If American, I'm so sorry you don't have a canadian tire.
>>
>>17391540
although cheap and nasty that's technically not paint
>>
Anything with a lifetime guarantee will be good enough, if it breaks just replace it. Snap On is for pros with too much money.
>>
>>17391540
1/2 inch is pretty large, why not just 3/8?
>>
>>17389476
just get a decent torque wrench only tool who's quality is necessary

can make due with shit tools everywhere else if i were you i'd just go to my local canadian tire/harbor freight and get the 150-250 or whatever piece socket/wrench/etc set they usually have these on sale pretty often after that just buy whatever you need as you need it
>>
SCA. Aussie detected.

Mate just get a cheap Mechpro, or ToolPro or even Stanley set with at least two of either 1/4, 1/2 and 3/8 ratchets in them (or all 3.) With spanners, allen keys, screw drivers etc. They have a lifetime warranty on Chrome so if you break any of the pieces they'll replace it free. You're looking at $100-200 for a set from either of those with general shit in them. Which is cheap compared to Sidchrome/Kinchrome.

Supercheap sells ToolPro and Repco sells Mechpro. Good luck bud.
>>
>>17391540
>actual properly formatted good advice
What board is this?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.