[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on second hand Range Rovers. Are these things cheap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Range_Rover_01pop.jpg (252KB, 940x504px) Image search: [Google]
Range_Rover_01pop.jpg
252KB, 940x504px
Redpill me on second hand Range Rovers. Are these things cheap to fix yourself or is it basically a financial death sentence to buy an old one with 130k miles or so?

Looking to buy an older model, either first or second generation, with a petrol engine.
>>
>miles petrol

if brit just buy a navara or a hilux
>>
They're under £10k over 90k miles for a reason anon, don't do it.
>>
>>17376705
That's what I thought. I think I'm gonna save up for a decent Defender then.
>>
>>17376689
I would avoid the second generation. First generation is climbing in value and if you can find a clean one (very minimal to zero rust) and you like working on cars, you'll love it. Visibility and driving position is the best.

Or just be another faggot on the road with a Japanese 4x4 and enjoy driving a shitbox.
>>
File: 1494199878508.jpg (309KB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1494199878508.jpg
309KB, 1920x1920px
>>17376689
Wanna know why they are so cheap?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvJCCoLoKRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBGfCiZmRAQ
>>
>>17376689
I daily a 2010 lr4 with 130k on it.

It's been great to me so far, hasn't cost too much. I you take care of them they will take care of you. It depends a lot on the prior owner.
>>
>>17376733
Yes the driving position and god tier visibility is exactly why I want a Range Rover or Defender. I know jack shit about car repair, but I was thinking you could learn most of it online. Am I wrong?
>>
File: 1482701642956.jpg (13KB, 463x480px) Image search: [Google]
1482701642956.jpg
13KB, 463x480px
>>17376757
>thinking you can repair a european car on your own
OY VEY
>>
>>17376739
Did not watch those videos, so excuse me if I'm wrong. The cars in the video are 3rd generation, while I'm looking to buy first generation or second generation. 3rd gen is wired with electronics, and I'm thinking the first not so much, making them easier to fix.
>>
Range Rovers are gigantic money sinks. As someone with experience working on the things, just buy a fucking Jeep. Even the Germans have better quality control than fucking Rover.

>>17376767
The second gen range rovers have even more electrical problems than the third gen, not to mention the torrent of leaky seals.
>>
>>17376826
>Even the Germans have better quality control than fucking Rover

The 1st Gen is filled German parts. It's like a marriage of British engineering with a German parts bin of miscellaneous shit
>>
File: p38.jpg (339KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
p38.jpg
339KB, 1000x562px
>>17376862
You mean the second gen? The first gen Range rovers were all British. The second gens are complete mutts with electronics from Bosch and Lucas in one fucktastic package.
>>
>>17376689
>British cars
>owning one
>ever
>>
>>17376826
Jeeps look ridiculous. My second choices would be Defender or Land Cruiser, but seeing as those are much more expensive second hand, I'm gonna have to be saving up more money.
>>
>>17376689

>I own a series 2 disco 4.0L
>My day job is a tech

OP I would never recommend an older Land Rover to anyone, but I absolutley love the disco. It will eat you alive if you don't fix it yourself.

Be prepared for dumb shit to happen with out warning, like I discovered that my windsheild leaks water only when parked down hill and it fills the fuse box with water shorting out my tail lights.

Off road its incredable, even stock they can do shit build 4x4s have issues with. They really don't get enough praise in North America.

Buy one, do the inevitable headgaskets and be prepared for anything, after all its part of the adventure right?

>Get a 4runner or some Jeep instead
>>
>>17378874
Yeah, it seems old Land Rovers would be fun as project cars. I don't really "need" a car, since I can get by fine with public transport anyway, but having such a nice car, and working on it seems like a cool experience overall. I might go for it in a one or two years time or so.
>>
>>17376826
I daily a '95 P38 (first year of production) and every single electrical item works. Except the remote locking, which has been removed, but fuck, it's got a key.

If OP is britbong he should get a diesel, they're honestly not as slow as you think, provided you get one with a manual box. They like revs.
>>
>>17381057
>If OP is britbong
I'm pretty sure he is since he's considering a Defender. North American Defenders are expensive. Just check out DeMuro's column on Autotrader.com/oversdeer :DDD
>>
>>17376689
Owned 3 P38 from 95', 96' and 98'.
It's a financial death sentence, if you don't have a degree in electronics or some shit related
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.