[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Near miss wrenching stories thread? This just happened. >replace

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: top kek.jpg (92KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
top kek.jpg
92KB, 960x720px
Near miss wrenching stories thread? This just happened.

>replace fuel pressure regulator
>O ring is super tight fit
>bolts go into bracket just fine
>tighten down, connect hoses
>reconnect battery
>turn key to accessory position a few times to prime rail
>ignition
>fuel starts spraying out of the rail onto the alternator and air intake
>fuck fuck fuck
>at least a pint of fuel
>O ring hadn't sealed
>pull it and reseat it, works fine

Adventure!
>>
lol same thing happened to me once I'm glad it didnt burn my car down
>>
>>17373172
It was surprising how fast it was spraying out.

The good news is my fuel pump seems fine.
>>
>>17373159
Not exactly on-topic, but fun wrenching story. Had a Saturn SL-something, beater car that got passed from sibling to sibling. Seemed absolutely gutless to me, but hey, its a 4-cyl, right? It heated up way too fast (seemed lioke a head gasket), and seemed to have super-high crankcase pressure. If you just unscrewed the cap while it was running, it would blow it off. Any how, it ran, and ran, and ran, and just wouldn't die. Passed through four siblings before it finally threw a rod bearing.

So we pop off the heads, and dad is like "What the fuck it that"? One of the pistons has a chunk as big around as a quarter just missing out of it, and there is a hole in the cylinder wall. It had probably been like that for years (going back to the crankcase pressure thing), but the fucking thing just kept going.
>>
File: ssss.jpg (196KB, 1920x1260px) Image search: [Google]
ssss.jpg
196KB, 1920x1260px
>>17373159
> 2004 Sti
> Put oil pressure sensor under alternator.
> Putting alternator back on
> Tightening belt
> Bracket brakes

wot.png

> New bracket is $65 and you have to take the power steering pump off
> power steering fluid everywhere

Welp
>>
>>17373159
What is going on in this picturr
>>
>>17373365
Huh, my old '99 SL whatever also threw a rod through the block. Piece of shit was spewing oil for like a hundred yards until I came to a complete stop and shut it off.
>>
>>17373159
>adding return line to the canister on big turbo skittle build (precision 6262)
>drop tank and pull canister without destroying lock ring
>add aeromtoive pump, drill hole in canister lid for return, convert to AN fittings for feed and return
>reinstall canister, prime pump, crank engine - fires right up
>go to gas station to fill up, pump gas & walk inside to pay
>come out....Exxon Valdez size trail of gas from car to station door..about 30ft
>Fuuuu
>limp it home spewing gas from canister lid, lock ring wasn't tight enough
>drop tank with ~11 gallons in it bc couldn't siphon fast enough to prevent gas swimming pool in garage
>feelsbadman

Finally got it fixed at 2am, took it for a data logging pull the next day and it threw the reverse idler out of the side of the trans case. First of 3 trans I grenaded on that car
>>
>>17373453
Mid head gasket change. Ended up being tasty as fuck.
>>17373480
>blew the reverse idler out of the side of the trans case
>lake of gasoline in parking lot and garage

lol

It's a miracle to me that we're not all dead.
>>
>>17373492
Truth, cantcsay that was my only one though...

>night road rally with local car club
>penalized for completing under target time to discourage racing
>thingsthatneverhappened - rules edition
>08 caliber srt4 running way too much boost and 100% methanol injection to keep afr in check
>go to pass a built TL type S
>methanol tank goes dry at wot
>17afrohfucksauce

Warped the rings on #3 cylinder but it was still putting down 401 at the wheels when I sold it, just consumed oil like a Honda
>>
>92 accord
>removing old water pump, all bolts come off fine except one.
>snap old pump off trying to pry out bolt
>clean snap around the bolt
>tap the new pumps bolt hole bigger
>place new pump on and jbweld/silicone the hole

Car ran fine until timing skipped a tooth/to lazy to fix and I blew the engine.
>>
>>17373566
I'm having a good enough time fixing up my shitty old E30 that has 100 horsepower. Shit like that is a dream to me.
>>17373650
I was pulling off a cylinder head at a junkyard that had male Torx head bolts. I got 11 of them off and the 12th and final one slipped.

I put the socket back on and wailed on the breaker bar and it slipped again. Shit. Bolt is stripping and it's a head bolt, so if it strips I'm fucked and I need this head.

I'm convinced that if it had slipped one more time, that bolt wouldn't be going anywhere.
>>
>replacing a warped throttle body
>take old one off, put new one on
>harness doesn't fit, I find out that the entire assembly/connector were in a recall (Thanks Ford) and the old harness/TB won't match up to the new TB/harness
>being the penny pinching gentile I am, I cut the plastic sides off of the old TB connector and zip tie it on to the new one
>ran fine, maybe a bit low on RPMs since it would idle just a tad above 600rpm, up until I sold it
>>
>>17373920
that was worded poorly; I put on the new throttle body to replace the old warped one and then cut the sides off of the old connector and zip tied that to the new throttle body. Car had a permanent engine light on for "low TPS voltage" but asides from that ran fine.
>>
>>17373920
zip ties save lives

my entire fmic is held on by zip ties
>>
>>17374002
My rad fan is held on by precisely 1 bolt and 3 zipties
>>
>go to use a beer pong cup to catch fuel dripping from rail
>eats right through the cup and fuel going everywhere

surprisingly a water bottle worked ok. chemistry.
>>
File: dalton.jpg (34KB, 250x264px) Image search: [Google]
dalton.jpg
34KB, 250x264px
>driving home not long after doing a brake job
>start hearing this constant clanging as my wheels turn coming from the rear
>decide to just try and limp it home because it was dark out
>make it home
>look at rear brakes
>the drivers side rear caliper is literally hanging on by a thread and thus is dragging on something (maybe the wheel?)
>remember that I forgot to tighten the bolts when I put it back on
>got lucky, no damange other than having to buy new caliper bolts

My 19 year old ass narrowly avoided a bit of a disaster. If that caliper fell off, I would have lost all brakes and died, let alone having to repair it.
>>
>>17374180
So is mine, and the one bolt came loose and it started rubbing against my accessory drive so Im gonna ziptie that bitch even more
>>
>>17374258
>would have lost all brakes
no unless you have some ancient shitbox you still would've had some brakes due to how the master cylinders are built
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.