[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Posted in /b/ first. Thought it'd make more sense to post

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Posted in /b/ first. Thought it'd make more sense to post here.

My car was making a ticking noise and I knew immediately that it was the timing belt(pas experiences). So I took it to the Honda dealer just to get a diagnosis, not for the repair. Literally as I popped the hood in front of one of the honda mechanics and 1/5 of the serpentine belt snapped.

Long story short, from what the diagnosis says, I'll need a new timing belt (belt didn't snap so I'm pretty sure the pistons aren't damaged, ((thank god)), a new crankshaft pulley, a new serpentine belt and a new serpentine belt tensioner, and new anti freeze. They quoted the repair at 1475. My question to all of you is this, am I better off taking it to a local (5 star according to google) repair shop? What kind of price of repair should I be looking at? I know timing belt repair runs around 600-800. 1475 is a lot of money I don't have.

My engine is in savable state from what I know, I've gone to /b/ in times of need before, for some reason when I need others opinions this is my go to. It hasn't failed me before.

If more info is needed just ask and I will give all I can.
Thanks in advance.

Pic related, just my old car vs my new one. New one is fucking broke help.
>>
I think the obvious thing to do is get an estimate from that local repair shop to have a clear idea of what the price difference is. Dealerships will generally always charge more. That said, I just so happened to be doing a very similar job to my own car and have spent less than $100. If you have any mechanical inclination and the tools, it shouldn't be too difficult.
>>
>long story short
>Writes a novel
>>
>>17373131
>My car was making a ticking noise and I knew immediately that it was the timing belt

or it could be the serpentine belt that spontaneously snapped?
>>
The answer is yes. Dealers charge an absolute fuckton for labor. Take it to the other shop for a quote. I'd bet it will be more like $800-900.
>>
>>17374089
Are you really so illiterate that one sentence is too much for your sad little "brain" to handle?
>>
Ask around shops, thei will deffs qoute you lower. Wluld they also be doing a water pump? Cause that could be part of the cost aswell, cause fuck me water pumps done at a dealership is fucking retarded expensive

My corollas timing belt snapped, and it cost me $600.
>>
>>17374164
>tfw getting a timing kit for $82 with includes a new timing belt and a water pump among a few other things

Feels good to be a home mechanic. :^)
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.