[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/, anon here. Bought an 08 F250 turbo diesel, completely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0515.jpg (39KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0515.jpg
39KB, 480x480px
Hey /o/, anon here. Bought an 08 F250 turbo diesel, completely stock. I changed the fuel filters and oil filter as well as the oil, and am currently looking to delete either the egr or the dpf. Which delete should I do first and what will it cost me? Any advice is helpful.
>>
>>17367134
>>
The dpf. The egr should be relatively easy. Might as well do both at the same time because you need the ECU adjusted after.
>>
>>17367143
I could do it for 17.5k
>>
What does deleting that accomplish and why is it so pricey any whoot
>>
>>17367169
The dpf is a filter in the damn exhaust. It clogs up like every other week and needs a fluid called DEF, which is literally piss to wash it while you're driving. The system is complicated and prone to breaking, which is expensive to fix, not to mention DEF is expensive to refill too. It gives no advantage to the owner other than being a money pit and might as well take it off and save in the long term.
>>
>>17367134

Solution: don't jack up the fuel delivery for "more power" which is a phenomenal waste of fuel on a diesel.

That much particulate in a diesel = too much fuel. Too much fuel or air =/= more power. This isn't a gasser.

Leave the damn truck alone, run it like it comes from the factory, and don't make the rest of us eat soot so you can get to 60mph 0.0000000000000001 seconds faster in your work truck.

If you DO the deletes, the like another poster said, fix your ECU, at least, so you get the right fuel amount.
>>
>>17367182
DPF and DEF are completely unrelated. DEF is urea (refined piss from pig barns) injected into the exhaust stream to catalyze NOx emissions. The DPF catches soot, and in order to clean the filter the engine injects fuel late into the cycle (like, after the exhaust valves are open) to increase exhaust temperatures and burn the soot off. Some engines actually inject fuel directly into the exhaust ahead of the filter, but I don't think passenger vehicles do that.

There have been several instances of trucks spewing flames out of the exhaust due to too much extra fuel (or oil leaked from the turbo) in the exhaust during regeneration
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/why-is-this-brand-new-ford-f-450-shooting-flames-out-of-1787993576
>>
>>17367846
>any of this
>>
>>17367182
>It clogs up like every other week
That depends on the engine, i have done 60k miles with my diesel 1.9tdi VW engine without any problem, some people i know own the 1.6 tdi and it also clogs up every other week
I have no ideia why
>>
File: $_20.jpg (81KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
$_20.jpg
81KB, 800x600px
Honestly man, the best advice anyone here is going to give you is to sell it as fast as you can and get into anything else. The 6.4L, specifically 2008 models, are absolute time bombs. Even that PowerstrokeHelp guy on YouTube said they're 150k mile throwaway engines, and worse yet they're hopelessly complex to repair and average Joe-blow backyard mechanic will be in way over his head on most engine repairs.

I'm not one for anecdotal evidence, but I've known one guy with a 6.4L. Gorgeous truck, CCLB 4WD, fully loaded, $78,000 truck brand new back in 2008. Couple months ago he was driving it down the road, not even towing anything or bagging it, when suddenly it sputtered and died. Turned out the injection pump grenaded, which shot bits of metal into the injectors, which dropped a few injector tips into the cylinders, and in turn completely FUBAR'ing the engine. The only salvageable parts from the engine was the turbo.

Of course this happened just after his warranty had ended. He shopped around a bit, cheapest he was quoted was $15,000 to drop in a new long block engine. Truck didn't even have 70,000 miles when the engine blew, it was bone stock and religiously maintained. Nothing like a $15k bill a short 70,000 miles after spending nearly $80,000 on it initially to buy it.
>>
>>17368429
I enjoy the powerstrokehelp channel. I've just been watching it to learn more about diesels and the guy had this weird balance of intensity and exasperation that reminds me of many shop owners I've met
>>
6.4 Ford? Get your head checked first. Because it's most likely filled with shit.
>>
File: IMG_0156.jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0156.jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
>>17367846
>Leave the damn truck alone, run it like it comes from the factory
This is the absolute worst advice for a 6.4

OP, buy a DPF/DOC and EGR delete-capable tuner. Run a conservative tune, and just drive it.

The DPF is what kills these trucks, because of the way it goes through a regen cycle.
>dumps fuel into #7 cylinder to raise EGTs high enough to burn out the soot
I monitored mine through a regen cycle before I pulled the DPF off, it fucking hit 1300 F going 55mph unloaded.

Pulled it off and going 55 EGTs barely hit 550 F

That said. Maintain it. Oil changes every 5K. Fuel filters every 10K. Drain the water separator every oil change.

Treat it well, it will treat you well.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.