[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm planning on modernizing an old low-compression engine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: 1484337021726.jpg (212KB, 800x611px) Image search: [Google]
1484337021726.jpg
212KB, 800x611px
I'm planning on modernizing an old low-compression engine with EFI, motorcycle ITBs, headers, a performance cam and running it on E85. This means I should raise the static compression ratio from 9:1 to at least 11-12:1.
Normally people just install a set of high-compression pistons and call it a day, but in this case there are no aftermarket pistons available.

What's the best way to accomplish my goal? Pic unrelated.
>>
>>17355803
Theres some head shaving process that raises compression I think if your valves will clear.
>>
File: amc head4.jpg (398KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
amc head4.jpg
398KB, 1600x1200px
what engine is it?
start with porting, bigger valves, and for sure a nice cam.
you will want to balance the internals too.

i ported this jeep head, exhaust first i removed about 3lbs alone on that side. really woke it up
>>
File: head2.jpg (342KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
head2.jpg
342KB, 1600x1200px
>>17355815
i suggest you prepare many, many hours to porting. this was perfection after about 2 weeks on and off, again exhaust first.

there is more power to be made in porting than any header or ITB setup
>>
File: head3.jpg (362KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
head3.jpg
362KB, 1600x1200px
for many many engines porting templates are available. people have been there and done that, and made a template to follow.

obviously not the case with a jeep head
>>
File: head1.jpg (388KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
head1.jpg
388KB, 1600x1200px
and face it, custom pistons arent that much more money.
just get in contact with your fav piston company. i used childs and albert
>>
>>17355815
It's a Mercedes M103. People just usually slap turbos on these, but I'd like to stay N/A for this build. Anyway, nice work on the Jeep.
The factory heads on these engines apparently flow really well already, but I know a professional who'll do the porting and other head work for me.
My concern is that with a hotter cam the dynamic compression ratio drops too low.

>>17355860
Can you give any figures about how much a set of 6 custom pistons will cost?
>>
Pistons are your only solid way to make more compression. Shaving the head changes your cam timing and isn't very effective. What engine are we talking about here
>>
>>17355892
contact mahle? dont they make the oem ones?
you can really pretty much go with any company if its custom. i paid about $90 each
>>
>>17355803
>in this case there are no aftermarket pistons available.
Get custom pistons you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>17355928
u mad
>>
File: WOSSNER_VS_JE_CUSTOM_PISTON.jpg (35KB, 572x298px) Image search: [Google]
WOSSNER_VS_JE_CUSTOM_PISTON.jpg
35KB, 572x298px
>>17355934
custom lightweight pistons like these?
>>
>>17355934
Mad that you're fucking dumb as hell
>>
>>17355909
I was under the impression custom pistons are really expensive, but that doesn't seem too bad. Might have to go that route then.
>>
>>17355803
literally any decent piston company will make you pistons
>>
>>17355954
you dont know unless you ask several companies for quotes.
>>
>>17355909
$90 a piece is about right for aftermarket pistons.
Off the shelf aftermarket and custom pistons take about the same amount of effort for a manufacturer. They already have a slug forged, its just changing the CNC lathe program from .0125 to .0375 type of shit.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.