[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I peeped the used car pin and if it's to be believed, mid-2000s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 640x480.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
640x480.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
I peeped the used car pin and if it's to be believed, mid-2000s Lincoln town cars are a good purchase.

There's a very handsome one I've been looking at for a few months while I get my finances in order and search around local listings, but it's dropped $1000 since January (from $4995 to $3995) if I remember correctly.

What are some potential problems that may arise from this car if I were to go to the dealership and cop it? Is such a massive price drop a red flag?

Pic related
>>
>>17312814
No one wants them (aside from niggers) becuase they guzzle gas, and they're cheap becuase there's a shitload of them out there.
>>
>>17312825
I don't particularly care about gas guzzling, I drive a gas guzzler now and can afford filling it up fine. What I can't afford any time soon is a fuel efficient car.
>>
>>17312834
Just telling you why they're so cheap dude, and why its not really a red flag.
>>
They are very fleet like luxury cars. Not many "features" but rides better than a Mercedes. If it was a limo, it's going to have 250+k miles on it. The only "issue" is the air suspension. It'll go out eventually like all air suspension. The plus side is it can take regular Crown Victoria coil springs in its place when they do.
>>
whatever you do, don't get it in black or silver, or everyone will think you are an airport taxi.

all panthers are mostly identical, but the lincoln town car was always slightly different than it's cousins the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis, both of whom are virtually identical under the badges.

the Town car usually had extra luxury features (for example, the early 90's model had a car phone)

as a result, there's a lot more potential electronic gremlins.

The Crown Vic and Grand Marq share the same repair manual even. but the town car does not.

question, Op: what's the mileage on it? Know anything else?

I would say that both of those prices are both way too high for a town car. if it has really low mileage then maybe 3k, but honestly you should expect to pay nothing above 3K at most, 2.5K if it's in average condition.

these cars are dime a dozen. make sure it's never been used as a taxi if you want it.

honestly i'd say go for a top of the line Grand Marquis instead. it still comes with power everything, has a CD changer, leather seats, etc, but without the cop or taxi image that both the Vic and Town Car suffer from.

that's my 2 cents
>>
>>17312985
Mileage is just over 120k. Three previous owners, all for personal use. No accidents reported for it.
>>
My 2004 Town Car threw a spark plug at night a few states away from home. Not enough thread in the block to hold a (probably) overtorqued plug. A common occurrence in the larger truck engines and not as common in the 4.6
Had an insert put in...and sold it a few months later.
>>
>>17313001
120k, personal use? not bad. but I'd say avoid any car that's had 3 or more owners, outside of special circumstances. (family owned, for instance)

I still think that price is too high, ESPECIALLY with that many owners.
>>
>>17312985
I never understand why one would shy away because of "the cop/taxi" image. Why bother with what others think. Anything below $5k isn't exactly glamorous. Panthers are great values and an important mark in auto history. One should take advantage of the value and experience it. Lincolns are a lot cooler than the Mercury GMs
>>
>>17313020
First owned clocked 10k on it, having bought it when it was new.

Second put about 80k on it in 6 years, and then rest were from the third owner who sold it in 2016.

You've got a point with the number of owners though.
>>
>>17312985
This anon pretty much nails it in one. The Crown Vic and GrandMa are badge sisters with basically everything other than the headlights and emblems identical, the Town Car is the more upscale version with tons of unique shit both equipment wise and body wise. You can't always swap them nicely, either, i.e. if you want to pull a seat from a Town Car, they've got 40/20/40 bench seats while the other two (if they don't have buckets) have a 50/50 split so you'll either have a gap by the seat or it won't fit period.

>What are some potential problems that may arise from this car if I were to go to the dealership and cop it?
If it's pre-2003, intake manifold. Any year period, air shocks are known to give out and require replacement, it's only a matter of time when- all Town Cars have air ride as standard equipment while it's a specific option on the CV/MGM.

>>17313007
>Not enough thread in the block to hold a (probably) overtorqued plug.
IIRC the issue is that there isn't enough thread in the block to hold a PROPERLY torqued plug, and the way to fix it is to actually slightly overtorque the plugs instead (15 lb-ft instead of 10 or so).
>>
Cracked intake manifolds are pretty common with the 4.6 because they're plastic. Belt tensioners and fuel pumps also come to mind. It's getting harder to find OEM parts as well. Like others have said the air suspension is a ticking time bomb. If they fail on you just put springs in it, way way cheaper than putting bags back in it.

Other than that they're pretty solid cars. Nothing else out there has the same ride quality.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.