[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to be towing a car 150 miles with a car dolly,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: car-dollie-big.jpg (57KB, 652x344px) Image search: [Google]
car-dollie-big.jpg
57KB, 652x344px
I'm going to be towing a car 150 miles with a car dolly, any advice on how to not fuck up towing something so far? I've never towed a car this far before, and to make matters worse the steering wheel lock is broken so the steering wheel won't lock into position, should I worry about it swaying back and forth while I'm towing it?
>>
Stick it in neutral and drive it in forward
>>
>>17276719
Is it automatic? Is it RWD or FWD? What wheels do you intend to put on the dolly?
>>
>>17276719
make sure what ever you are towing isn't awd if you are using one of those types of trailers
>>
>>17276740
>>17276747
The car's engine is already out so I don't have to worry about it weighing too much or fucking up the transmission, but that also means the steering wheel won't lock so I'm worried about it swaying.
>>
>>17276751
Well you don't want the steering to lock anyways, the dolly won't turn if its locked, make sure the front wheels are on the dolly.
>>
Tie a rope to the steering wheel and the other end to something that will make the wheel stay in place. It's how wrecker drivers did it in the days before steering wheel locks.
>>
>>17276719

leave parking brake on and take off the tires you won't need them
>>
You could manually block the steering with a few pieces of wood fitted beside the steering rods, might not eliminate the front wheels moving but it should definitely limit it.
>>
>>17276751

i've watched repo guys use the seatbelt to hold the steering wheel in place

you can try that.
>>
>>17276719
>the steering wheel lock is broken so the steering wheel won't lock into position

Buy a cheap steering wheel anti-thief locking bar. That will limit the amount of movement. Then look some cheap rope under the right chair rail of the driver's seat and attach that to the right side of the steering wheel. Loop under the left chair rail and attach to the left side of the wheel. It should not turn much now. You can skip the bar if you don't have one, but it's there as insurance.
>>
>>17276764
They still do it on classics.
>150 miles
>so far

That's my commute to work + stopping at the grocery store.
>>
>>17277314
this, I used to be a repo man.

If its fwd drive front end up and tow. If its rwd, do it backwards and lock the wheel. If awd dont.
>>
>>17276719

I used one of these for 2k miles. I also drive a tow truck.

If you're worried about the front wheels swaying you need to secure the steering wheel. Don't rely on the steering lock anyways because it's gonna break. Use a ratchet strap or do what we do. Push the seat forward, wrap the seat belt around the wheel twice, buckle it then push the seat back to tighten the belt.

If it's RWD and has the drive shaft disconnected you can skip those steps and just load it with the front wheels on the dolly. If it's a FWD you don't have to worry about locking the steering because the front wheels should be on the dolly.

Oh yeah don't attempt to reverse with one of those tow dollies. You'll fuck shit up.
>>
cheap ratchet straps from the steering wheel to the seat frame and call it done. Cheap insurance compared to messing around with rope or seat belts. Also never trust the steering lock. It's about as flimsy as the pawl in park and loves to break.

Also for the love of god even if the trans/engine is fucked, pull the drive line or tow from the drive wheels. It's not about just damaging the transmission, it's also about preventing the trans from bursting into flames at highway speed with no lube.
>>
File: IMAG2161.jpg (2MB, 3264x1824px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2161.jpg
2MB, 3264x1824px
Thanks for the advice guys. I was able to tow the car back home safely with no problems. It didn't sway when I locked the steering wheel down with rope.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.