[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im not american but when i watch american TV or Movies i always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1451841854156418741.jpg (238KB, 2539x1254px) Image search: [Google]
1451841854156418741.jpg
238KB, 2539x1254px
Im not american but when i watch american TV or Movies i always see cars like this in the movie, I dont know the names of these cars but its almost like these cars appear scattered around movies

is it just 1 car or is it a number of cars that hollywood kind of promotes? how significant are these cars to americans and why do they keep reappearing obviously they arent being produced today but they keep on showing it in film

give me a quick run down burgers
>>
>>17269017
Land barges, popular in the US until the SUV craze began.
Slow, wallowy and designed around maximum comfort. Usually found with plush bench seats, a 5.0 litre vee ate producing 150hp and a 3 speed slushbox.
>>
>>17269026
The father of a guy I know managed to get a 12L Buick for $7,500, with those fucking great couch seats in both the front and the back. Pretty sure it was at least a 6 speed gearbox though, no idea on the make or model.

I'm jelly as fuck, 'cause those cars basically don't exist in Australia. They're so fucking comfy, and he got it really cheap.
>>
If you're watching old movies it's because they were extremely common at the time. The old Chevy Caprice and Ford Crown Victoria look like that, and were both used as police cars and taxis for like 30 years (that particular body style).
>>
its just the awful state American car design was in during the 70s and 80s

I dont see many in modern movies tho
>>
>>17269017
That's because the 80s Oil Crisis made them worthless. Hollywood just happened to have a few around when they made most of their classic TV in the 80s and early 90s, and they're still around for period pieces.
Nothing really decays in the desert, and it's not like they really need to run to be filmed. There's probably no motor in there, just a hook under each bumper to be towed. Maybe someone hacked the guts of a golf cart in there.
>>
>>17269017
They're the last real cars to be built.

>carb'd
>RWD
>4-door
>V8
>simple and economic
>easy to build up
>easy to maintain
>parts interchange, some more than others
>classic american good looks and styling

It was all downhill after this, nothing but compacts, plastic bodys, and airbags.

Who cares if they didn't break 200 horses stock, you could build up the motors with speed parts readily available and have a 400+ horsepower beast in no time, with torque to spare.
>>
>>17270063
This
>>
>>17269017
There are companies that have fleets of cars that they rent to filmmakers for both primary photography and background. The rental company fleets have been built up over time and include lots of cars from different eras and manufacturers. So if the production company needs cars from the Seventies on the street that day the rental company send over what they have and so on. Uncontrolled backgrounds in film have been rare for decades now.
>>
>>17270063
>>17271831
Who let the retarded boomers post?
These pieces of shit are "real cars," thanks for the laughs, idiots.
>>
>>17272062
STFU, you clearly have never wrenched on a car before faggot.
>>
>>17272062
That "piece of shit" is still faster and comfier than a modern 0.7l diesel shitbox. I'd take a 8 hour drive in a old barge over the rock hard ride of a German luxury car any fucking day.
>>
>>17269017
That's a fine example of the General Motors "reduced" B platform. This guy >>17270063 has the quick run down. The reduced B-body was built 1977-96 and had styling revisions in 80, 85, and 91. It was a shared platform among all the General's divisions, so you'll find that Chevy Caprices, Olds Delta 88s, Pontiac Parissennes, and Buick Electras all vaguely seem to resemble one another. The one in your particular picture looks like about an 1980 Pontiac Bonneville.

They are (or rather, were) comfy, therefore, good for family trips. They served as both mom-mobiles and dad work vehicles, so it's not uncommon for late Gen-X, early Gen-Y burgers to have grown up in one.

The B's popularity has waned since around the late 90s or early 2000s. Most still-working examples are high mileage and in poor repair. Unlike 10 or 15 years ago, you'll need to go out of your way to find people still excited about them. Best bet is either a model-specific bulletin board, or find the one or two /o/tists like myself that still own and love their car.
>>
>>17270063
Hi, Scotty
>>
>>17269041
>12L
I think your math is off a bit, man. That's over 700 cu-in.
>>
File: optimus stancefag.jpg (151KB, 1600x851px) Image search: [Google]
optimus stancefag.jpg
151KB, 1600x851px
>>17269017
I think it's some form of Volvo
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.