[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/, I have a 2003 Dodge Stratus and after driving for a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0751.jpg (71KB, 800x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0751.jpg
71KB, 800x427px
Hey /o/, I have a 2003 Dodge Stratus and after driving for a while, the check oil light comes on only when I'm idling. I got this forum thread when I googled it:
https://community.cartalk.com/t/very-low-oil-pressure-at-idle-when-hot/16403/17

I have had a leak in the oil pan replaced, the sender replaced, and I'm going to get a diagnostic run soon.

Do you guys have any ideas on what they should be looking for? I really don't want to think that the engine is worn like they said in the thread, as there's only 75,000 miles on the vehicle across an entire decade and it's been well maintained.

- I don't live in an area with very extreme weather
- the oil is the correct grade for the engine
- this problem has lasted through several oil changes
- I haven't noticed any problems with the vehicle's actual functioning, no funny smells or noises, but I'm not very attentive and don't know a lot about cars

I really can't lose this car.
>>
Bumping for help
>>
>>17227952
sell it
>>
get rid of it.
>>
>>17227952
Red oil light? like for oil pressure? Cause that's a serious problem and you're fucked. If the regular yellow oil light comes on for low oil level then it might not be that serious.
>>
>>17228337
Yes, what can I do?

>>17228305
It's only worth $2k, and I wouldn't have any form of transportation

>>17228322
I have no way of getting to work or the doctor without it
>>
>>17227952
Sounds like you arent getting good oil pressure and that is triggering the light to come on.

First thing you should check is when the light comes on, are you low on oil. Second thing, what is the maintenance history of the car? Are oil changes something done "regularly" or are they an afterthought?

If there is enough oil in the engine and you are still getting the low pressure light you have a possible fix, get a can of shitty wallyworld oil + sea foam, put both into the crank case and drive for about 20 min then dump the oil/seafoam and refill with regular oil/replace filter. Seafoam is a solvent mixture and will displace the small deposits at the various locations within the engine, if this does not work replace 1 qt of motor oil with 1qt of ATF +4 trans fluid. The trans fluid is less viscous than the oil so there will be less pressure drop associated with the oil/ATF mixture flowing through the small channels within the engine.
>>
>>17228355
You can get a scooter for <2k and spend almost no money on fuel, dont ever assume that you are stuck with no transportation.

Hell if it is that bad a used road bike on Craigslist is $450
>>
File: scooter.jpg (17KB, 390x550px) Image search: [Google]
scooter.jpg
17KB, 390x550px
>>17228375
Or he can get one of these badboys and spend no money at all on fuel
>>
>>17228383
But think about the surgeries he'll need for his ankles
>>
File: stronger.png (376KB, 419x430px) Image search: [Google]
stronger.png
376KB, 419x430px
>>17228390
It will make him stronger in the long run
>>
File: 01.jpg (107KB, 740x493px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
107KB, 740x493px
>>17228383
>>17228375
This is a scooter you daft fool.
>>
>>17228355
Not posting memes, I'll give you my legit adivce,

Essentially, the engine is just wearing out. Yes, you say it's low mileage, but an 03 Dodge Stratus is a terrible car to begin with. Many dodge/chrysler products have problems long before they hit 100k miles. Basically, the problem will progressively get worse until the low oil pressure light is on all the time. The only thing I would say you can try is switching to a heavier oil since the engine is worn. That may help to some degree but realistically you will have to rebuilt or replace the engine to actually fix the problem and on that car it isn't worth the money. So you can sell it now or switch to a heavier oil and baby the car until the engine completely goes, then junk it.
>>
>>17228409
What a piece of shit, a razor scooter will last you 10x longer than that garbage.
>>
Is it the 2.7 Daimler All Aluminum V6?
Those things had some oil sludge problems.
>>
>>17228419
Unless the car was only serviced 5x in its whole life, 75k is nothing for an 03 Dodge.
>>
>>17228440
lmao, not on that car. Go read some complaints about how many people had to replace their engine long before 100k miles. Some as low as 30k miles had problems, but a lot said the engine started going out around 70k-80k so that's right in line with OP.
>>
>>17228419
Would replacing the engine be worth it? $2k is probably going to get me a junk car anyways, so if I can buy a new engine for that much, why not have an old car with a new engine instead of another, different old car with old engine?
>>
File: 1494167991516.jpg (144KB, 682x600px) Image search: [Google]
1494167991516.jpg
144KB, 682x600px
>>17228419
>>17228440
>>17228462
>>17230602

>Buying an American car
>Buying a econobox Dodge

Stick to the Japanese folks. This is what happens lmao.
>>
File: 1492921883943.jpg (132KB, 889x501px) Image search: [Google]
1492921883943.jpg
132KB, 889x501px
>>17230602

No trolling OP, why the hell did you buy an 00's American economy car, they are notoriously shit and unreliable. There is a Japan nearly killed the American automotive industry.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.