[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me why I shouldn't get this https://bellingham.cr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 00202_4FZHrLbSRz5_600x450.jpg (24KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
00202_4FZHrLbSRz5_600x450.jpg
24KB, 337x450px
Tell me why I shouldn't get this
https://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/6130175912.html
It will be my only car
I will
>DD to college, only a 10 minutes drive about
>Drive from my hometown to college and back several times a year- about 300 miles with crossing a small easy mountain pass
>Won't have a garage at college
What do you guys think?
Its an 82 rabbit Diesel pickup, with 220,000 miles and a rebuild at 200,000.
Is this car terrible for my situation? Does it have too many miles? Or does the rebuild negate that?
I've never done anything with a diesel engine and that worries me a little. I've got a buddy who is a huge hick and can probably help me out if I need it. And my brother ised to have an 83 rabbit gasoline convertible so he may be able to help me with some of the other stuff with it if need be.
It says the radio doesn't work, is that a really bad sign or do I just need to buy a new radio?
Lastly, is it a good price? It seems a little much but these things are really rare in this condition
I know it's not the most practical car, for some reason I just love these little things. The farm I used to work at has one like this still running that they bought new in the 80s when my dad worked there. That's probably why
>>
Worst case scenario, you have a solid little project to work on. I say go for it. These rabbit trucks are getting harder and harder to get with Gen X eating them all up.
>>
>>17202896
>Fun little project
The thing is it'll be my only car for college. I do live right next to a bus stop though so if I need to my student ID doubles as a free bus pass. When I'm at home in the summer my family has 2 extra cars so thats not a problem. The biggest thing is I need to drive it 300 miles to get to school in the fall, back for winter break, spring break, and summer. Would you get in that car to drive 300 miles and trust it? I feel like the answer is no. There's a couple ford focus svts in the area in the same price range that would be way more reliable and practical but I just love this little vw
>>
>>17202920
It's definitely not the best thing you could buy as far as a tool for transportation goes, but if you take care of it and make sure it hasn't been abused, it will serve you well.
>>
>>17202920
Go test drive it already, if it cruses nice buy it. A good running diesel will run fine all over the place for long distances for a long time, that aspect isn't exclusive to semi trucks or anything.
>>
>>17202975
Ok I'll see about it.
Also, are airbags a meme? The road to my college is well known for being a "death trap" because a lot of idoits drive to fast and pass dangerously. I couple people die coming back to school every year. Since it doesn't have airbags am I going to die or am I fine?
>>
>>17202920
Does your hometown happen to be Spokane?
>>
>>17203100
No, I'm from Lynden(just north of Bellingham)
Are you from Spokane?
>>
>>17203189
Not far from it. I was going to sell my 00 Civic soon for a bit less. Would rather pass it on to another /o/tist, but I guess that would be a pretty long drive for a car like that
>>
>>17203189
I do have a lot of friends over in bham though, love the area
>>
File: IMG_20170310_125846~2.jpg (2MB, 3168x2022px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170310_125846~2.jpg
2MB, 3168x2022px
Might be a good run about. Hello from Everett
>>
>>17202874
Rebuild is quite possibly straight up a fucking lie,
unless they have reciepts and pictures they're literally bald face bulshitting to make their heavily used diesel look good.
also diesels expensive for a college kid imo i'd go for something efficient as fuck like a crx
>>
>>17203083
It's not the airbags that matter here, if that thing crashes you have a significantly higher chance of dying since you are the crumple zone, as compared to a modern car. That being sid drive defensively and safely knowing your limits and you should be fine. There is a certain risk in driving old cars but most of those crashes are also probably caused by the drivers themselves. All in all depends on just how much of a priority absolute safety is to you.
>>
>>17203083
Well, unless you are flooring it people will probably pass you often as those have very little power.

You'd be much safer in a modern vehicle....
>>
>>17203083
you won't die.
>you will
>>
Those have like 45-52 HP and 71-80 ft lbs torque.

Like what the FUCK?!!

OP, I hope you realize these are as slow as or slower than VW Beatles. Seriously, you could cause an accident pulling out of somewhere because you literally cant get up to speed in any reasonable amount of time.

Even the turbo variants are bad off but at least derivable to a certain point.
>>
>>17203646
It's a great area but there's too many hippies in bham.
I wasn't planning on getting a civic. I was looking at a Ford focus svt though.
>>>17202874
>Rebuild is quite possibly straight up a fucking lie
I thought about this too. It seems to be really taken care of.
>also diesels expensive for a college kid
? Diesel is cheaper here and the rabbit Diesel is super efficient, like 45mpg on the highway

>>>17203083
>All in all depends on just how much of a priority absolute safety is to you.
It's not really me that it matters to. My mom is a worry wart and me not having airbags will just stress her out and I don't want her wording for 8 hours straight
>>
http://jalopnik.com/263157/diesel-rabbit-pickup

Apparently not very useful as a truck.Turns out an already wheezing and anemic engine from the rabbit hatch isnt terrible useful for doing real work.

The malaise era is partially to blame for this and the malaise era is where this should have stayed.

That said, if you can turbo it and add another 40-50 HP it might be a lot better off.

But driving something like this on a "dangerous" road seems like asking for trouble.

I mean you wouldn't take a model T on the tail of the dragon right?
>>
>>17203949
Ok I replied to some wrong people, sorry I'm on my phone.
Also, I'm aware of how underpowered it is. I guess it's just a dream that I shouldn't do huh?
Ford focus would probably be better. There's a couple svts in the same price range
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.