[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /o/'s opinion on egr? Do diesel cars perform better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: images.png (7KB, 324x156px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
7KB, 324x156px
What is /o/'s opinion on egr? Do diesel cars perform better with or without it?

I have a 95's mercedes whose egr was blocked on purpose by the previous owner. Should I have it back working?

Pic not related
>>
>>17150401
egr is just an emissions thing

they reduce power because they heat up the intake temperature
>>
If you live in a place with emissions tsting, probably.
>>
stop fucking with shit on your beater and just maintain it
jesus christ dude
how about you take the camshafts out and change them because you have a void opinion on camshafts
sound stupid? its because it is
>>
File: TheDaughter_MarkRogers-572.jpg (353KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
TheDaughter_MarkRogers-572.jpg
353KB, 1024x682px
What's my opinion of it?

It's essential. It's not just a valve to help with emission ratings. It allows inert gas to flow into the cylinders at cruising speeds. It literally is the instrument that improved fuel economy. You're losing like $5 every fillup not having it hooked up.

If you fill up once a week, and there's 52 weeks in the year. And we'll say 50 weeks just because you were lazy those two weeks.

50 x 5 = $250 a year, because it's simply blocked off.

So there you go.
>>
File: 1492463696240.jpg (81KB, 426x313px) Image search: [Google]
1492463696240.jpg
81KB, 426x313px
>>17150746
Are you talking about a petrol or a diesel?

EGR does nothing to benefit the power or fuel consumption on a diesel. If anything it lowers the power and efficiency as it makes the combustion worse/at a lower temperature

Its also a terrible, terrible thing for those who live with cold temperatures and also aren't able to run the car properly and fully warm every drive, and even then you'll see it go wrong. There is so much carbon and oil buildup from this shit you wouldn't imagine. Pretty much any fucking diesel car that comes into the workshops here with the problem being "It runs like a roadkilled cat" - check the EGR, as its pretty much always the fault

Fuck EGR. Its a novel idea and I understand the thought behind it, but it just doesn't work properly for so many people, and is not suited for a climate like mine
>>
>>17150406
Heating up the intake is good for cold starts though. Also why the IAC/throttle body will have coolant run through it.
>>
imagine eating your own excrements. that's how your engine feels about egr.
>>
File: 1483358974002.jpg (56KB, 722x349px) Image search: [Google]
1483358974002.jpg
56KB, 722x349px
>>17150909
It doesn't do all that much as its only a very small part that goes in.

Also; when your engine is cold it produces a fuckton more emissions/carbon, and this shit WILL clog the everliving fuck out of the system
>>
I had an '05 Explorer with the EGR valve stuck open for two years. I never noticed any problems with it aside from the one ticket I got from being spotted with a bad inspection sticker

I know there are bigger problems with Explorers than my EGR valve being stuck open but I don't have it anymore so I don't have to worry about my transmission killing me anymore
>>
>>17150896
I'm talking about both. The concept of inert gas filling combustion chambers doesn't change from one fuel type to the other.

Where do you live, the immediate north pole?
>>
>>17152761
South europe
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.