[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /o/, legitimate question: why do america and europe follow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: bigvroom.jpg (291KB, 1600x1200px)
bigvroom.jpg
291KB, 1600x1200px
hey /o/, legitimate question:
why do america and europe follow so drastically different power philosophies? sure, there was the horsepower war in the muscle car era but certainly we could've moved past it by now if there was a better system, right?
>america
>V8 by default, some mean V6s though
>throw displacement at a problem to start with, then add turbos/supers/better shit
>europe
>generally in either the shitbox I4-I6 class or V10-V12 class
>minimize displacement
>throw on shitloads of forced induction for power

I don't want to argue hurr durr murica better and that type of shit, I just want to know where these two different ideas on making power are based and why each country chose their main system
>>
Cheap gas
Big distances to cover

Europe is all about that hp/liter and high technology while we use what's tried, trued and efficient.
>>
>>17145705
Europe has expensive costs for fuel, while America has cheap costs for fuel. Europeans also don't drive much, their city centers are pretty densely populated and urban sprawl is limited, meanwhile in America, we built up the entire country, we have large swaths of lands for our streets, our country land is all built up with farms and shit, so we need to be able to travel longer distances.

Europeans build cars that work within their premises, we build cars that work within ours. They need to be efficient, we need to be reliable, they need to be built well to last, while we have the mentality and easability of just replacing things.

It's just how our countries' are made up.

We're beginning to become more densely populated so we're also building smaller cars that are more efficient, while they can have fun with large powerful cars, but their people don't really require them, that's why America is their largest buyer for all of those neat exotics and limousines.
>>
High compression ratios and RPMs reduces engine life. Murrica's underpowered-for-their-size fuckhuge V8s are built to last hundreds of thousands of miles even if you're going WOT all the time. This is obviously barring performance versions that make more impressive horsepower. The consumer-grade american V8 will outlive the rest of the car because it's never truly stressed.

Also low-end torque for hauling families of fat fucks around.
>>
Americans cant make engines
>>
so what I'm understanding is that america's theory comes from
>long distance, relatively low RPM, low end cruising is what most large-engine vehicles will do
europe's theory comes from
>densely packed areas requiring minimized sizes with maximal power so that it still has the ability to get around and deal with city driving
sidenote, I still find it funny how this continues over even to diesels, in the sense that
>american diesels
>big engines, massive low end power, low rpm
>meant to tow tanks and shit, all about torque
>european modern diesels
>smaller, car engines designed for a gasser powerband/feel with diesel economy
>generally loses the low end grunt, all built around drivability
certainly interesting phenomena
>>
>>17145705
>throw displacement at a problem
Not really. Not every manufacturer is GM or Chrysler that uses objectively inferior pushrods.
>>
>>17145890
Ford did it too until the Ecoboost bullshit.
>>
>>17145925
>t. pushcuck
>>
>>17145890
at least GM can make good motors anyway, or build good cars around them
kikesler is just fucking bad
>>
File: 1443328017895.jpg (78KB, 880x558px) Image search: [Google]
1443328017895.jpg
78KB, 880x558px
>>17145952
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.