[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/ Was driving my 1983 Toyota Corona yesterday and ran

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_7726.png (2MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7726.png
2MB, 1334x750px
Hey /o/
Was driving my 1983 Toyota Corona yesterday and ran out of gas, about 20 metres from my house. I refuelled her with some fresh petrol, but to no avail, she wouldn't start. I assumed it wasn't a problem with the pump, seeing as it's mechanical.
I checked fuel lines, carb, and nothing seems to be blocked. I pulled out the fuel filter and saw that the inlet was a bit snapped, surely this couldn't cause it not to start though, right?
Any tips to get it going again?
>>
File: IMG_7727.png (2MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7727.png
2MB, 1334x750px
>>17126368
>cracked fuel filter inlet
>>
>>17126373
Check if fuel arrives at the carburetor.
I would change that filter either way; you don't want fuel spraying everywhere if it ends up breaking.
>>
>>17126406
Nope I can't hear it squirting! :(
>>
replace filter, that will start spraying gas at some point and you will have bigger problems. pour a bit of gas in the carb or use starting fluid to let it run for a few seconds to draw fuel back into the carb since the pump is mechanical. see if there is a way to fill the carb directly (probably not but worth a shot). if it still doesnt work it might be a push pump rather than a pull pump that cant self prime so you may need to prime it manually.
>>
>>17126425
Try filling the bowl of the carb; if it works, the problem is somewhere down the fuel line.
However, take into account that if your car has a mechanical pump, you will need to crank for a long time to get it to fill the carb bowl.
>>
Can you describe what happened when you ran out of gas? Maybe we are attributing the problem to running out of gas when it may well be an ignition problem.
>>
>>17126373
>>17126368
trash that fuel filter. anyways heres how i go through a mechanical fuel pump carb'd car for fuel

1. pull fuel line off input of fuel pump. If there is no fuel drawing out try sucking it out with your mouth. once fuel is flowing through connect it to fuel pump inlet.

2. pull hose off of carb from fuel pump outlet. if you can, suck the air out to get fuel flowing through the pump. some pumps ive tried dont like that, if thats the case i try cranking the motor over by hand until its squirting fuel out the pump. if it isnt try cranking with the starter

3. Once youve got the fuel pump working i connect the line back to the carb and try cranking by hand to get fuel in the float bowl, or try filling the float bowl through the carb vent. if you have a full float bowl that should let the engine idle long enough for a mechanical fuel pump to start flowing.
>>
File: IMG_7528.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7528.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>17126438
Thanks for the help mate, gonna try some "Start ya Bastard" shortly. If I can get it pumping I'm sure I should be fine.

>>17126454
Was definitely running out of fuel, turned car on and was driving down the road and it started spluttering and was losing revs even when giving it gas, managed to glide down the road until it fully turned off.
>>
>>17126470
Thanks dude genuinely appreciate it!
>>
File: IMG_7542.jpg (311KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7542.jpg
311KB, 2048x1152px
Hey guys, replaced filter and put some starting fluid in the air filter... nothing. Ugh.
>>
No starty starty on the go-juice means you've got no sparky sparky.

Check distributor, clean/replace as necessary.
>>
>>17128523
yup if you arent running off ether its spark, that is if you sprayed a healthy amount. if you just gave it a 1/4 second sprit its not really gonna do anything especially though an air filter.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.