[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Having never driven an I6, rotary, or boxer, what is the benefit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: rb26.jpg (65KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
rb26.jpg
65KB, 750x500px
Having never driven an I6, rotary, or boxer, what is the benefit of having a smooth or "perfectly balanced" engine?
>>
They don't require as much harmonic damping / balancing (which slightly increase the weight of rotating engine parts; slightly reducing power output), but you won't notice a difference.

t. mechanical engineer grad (working as a 'software engineer' though).
>>
In a modern car it's pretty marginal because modern technology does a pretty good job at mitigating such defects.

It used to matter more. I'd say these days it's more important to worry about reliability or set up and handling.
>>
>>17074293
This. I drive a v6 and compared to an i6 there's relatively little shaking. (V6 was transverse so shaking would be front to back however.)
>>
File: WP_20170201_001.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170201_001.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
Shakes like a dance floor although it may have something to do with the gearbox.

once the engine revs though it smooths out big time.
>>
You don't realize how rough an I4/V6 is until you don't have one. There zero vibration, shake, and creaking of motor mounts in a rotary in an I6. It's hard to describe why it feels better, it just *does*
>>
>>17074364
I remember when I had a 90s Subaru a friend was sleeping against a window and then asked if the car was running and why it wasn't shaking and knocking his head.

I told him about boxer engines and he asked why everybody else didn't do that. But that was in a cheap 90s car. What I will say for it is that it you did notice the weight in front was down lower and didn't swing around like the rear.
>>
>>17074230
They last longer
>>
>>17074364
modern i4 with counter balance shafts and engine mounts worth a shit are pretty good. If i'm not paying attention i will forget what gear i'm in my 01 saab and be cruising around at 4000rpm. In my old saab, sans balance shafts, i would know. My s130 and s30 were both very smooth.
>>
The only way i can tell what rpm im at in my i6 is by sound or looking at the rev counter
>>
>>17074293
This with a caveat.
V6's, by and large, are perfectly balanced when given a 60* V angle like the GM 60* V6, High Value V6, or High Feature V6. or the Nissan VQ series.
>>
>>17074230
Wait, there's benefits to not having a loud gargling V8?
I can't even imagine how awful it must be to drive in such silence. Like driving an electric car.
>>
>>17077531
>Rotary
>Quiet
Top kek.
>>
File: 18lgkae41gmr7gif.gif (1MB, 635x357px) Image search: [Google]
18lgkae41gmr7gif.gif
1MB, 635x357px
>>17074230
when you get it in it you'll know. Also its way safer to rev to 8000+ in an inline 6.
>>
>>17077558
this is blue board...
>>
>>17076115
You know what I always thought was rad? There was some racecar or other where they figured on using a 120* V6, which is its natural angle. Coupled with a dry sump, that let them run the exhaust headers on bottom no lower than the crank case, and gave the whole shebang a lower center of gravity than a 180* design.

Pretty slick.
>>
>>17074230
It might be hard to believe but the benefits of a smooth or "perfectly balanced" engine is you get an engine that's "perfectly balanced" and smooth. It's a stretch I know, but trust me on this one.
>>
>>17074230

Subaru engines like the FA20, while loud and not refined at low rpm, are pretty smooth and breathy at high rpm. Like so much that I can just ignore the revs and keep a stable chassis with all the engine braking I could need. Also the subaru ads claim that the lower center of gravity prevents upper wobble of the engine through a corner, stays balanced.
>>
>>17077558
>>17079634
this

too lewd
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.