[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/, I'm heading to a dealership for the first time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1372138503510.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1372138503510.gif
1MB, 320x240px
Hey /o/, I'm heading to a dealership for the first time tomorrow. I have a family member going with me that's bought cars before, but I am still wary. I've only ever bought from private parties before. What should I be on the lookout for?

Pic related: What I don't want them to do to me.
>>
Be prepared to walk out. No matter what car you're getting you can always get it someplace else.
>>
>>17022085

Good advice. I've also heard it's good to get your financing at a bank instead of the dealership, any truth to that?
>>
>>17022091
Whoever gives you the best rate. Sometimes it's the bank, sometimes it's the dealership, mine was a credit union. A legit dealership runs your application to multiple lenders. So you'll have a lot of options. Going to your own bank and getting pre approved is just one more option.
>>
>>17022131

I did get pre-approved already. What about warranties and such? Are factory warranties worthwhile or should I look into extended warranties?
>>
>>17022058
What type of car are you buying?

Used or new ?
>>
>>17022153
if you are buying a Dodge/Chrysler/jeep/ram if it is something you plan on keeping for a long time they offer life time warranties (at least they used to) my brother has one on his ram 1500 and doesnt have to pay for anything that breaks as long as he has recorded maintenance.
>>
>>17022185

Used, but relatively new. Looking for something 2013-2015 for my wife. We've been looking at Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas and Dodges, with our eyes on Corolla, Camry, Sentra, Fit, Civic ir Dart.
>>
Work only with out the door prices, you will get lost unless you have a good head for math.

Do you have a trade-in? Look at how much your it is worth in your area, and if possible find examples of it on dealer lots. Know what you got, let out your inner Craigslist Boomer (but dont be obnoxious). Negotiate the otd price of the car you are buying first, get the offer in writing, then negotiate your trade in. But dont hide the fact you have a trade-in, just say you want to negotiate the cost of the new car first before negotiating what youll get for your trade-in, as this makes it less complicated. If the salesperson refuses, theyre going to try and screw you over and either give you way less on the trade-in value, or charge way more on the value of the new car in some unsubtle way.

Like anons have said, dont be afraid to walk out.

Research the demand of the car you are buying in your area. Are they selling days after getting on the lot? You arent going to get anything by haggling, the dealer knows theyll make a favorable sell without you. Has the car been on the lot for a while and undergone several price cuts? You can take them down even more because both you and they know that the car will keep sitting there for even longer.

Are you paying cash or taking out a loan? If you need a loan, get pre-approved. This will cut a lot of bullshit in terms of getting Jewd by high interest rates. If you have cash, dealers generally prefer if you take out a loan, so even if you have cash for it be open to playing down how much you have and ""taking out a loan"" for the rest. This may or may not grease some wheels and get them to go lower. Same if you express interest in whatever extended warranties they try and sell you. Sometimes giving a little gets you a little, so you might as well give and get a bit extra warranty in return, even if you never use it. Then just pay the loan off in 2 or 3 payments (make sure the loan has no early repayment charge).
>>
>>17022058
The salesman will be pleasant but be prepared for the financing guy to make you feel like shit. Don't let them bully you into buying an extended warranty, most people never use them and they have loads of fine print
>>
>>17022058
Look on CL. No shitty dealership tax. Get to test drive. People aren't cunts for the most part.
>>
>>17022212
>The salesman will be pleasant but be prepared for the financing guy to make you feel like shit

Maybe it's a british thing, but when I bought my car there wasn't a separate financing guy. They just ran the numbers through the computer, showed you the results, and let you make your own decision from there.
>>
be prepared for some bullshit hidden costs, I went to buy a car listed at 14k by the time we finished talking it was up to 16.5k because of stupid dealership nonsense, they literally wanted to charge me 500$ to print out paper. After that I walked out.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.