[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm making one more thread just to build up my confidence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: fierogt.jpg (223KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fierogt.jpg
223KB, 1600x1200px
I'm making one more thread just to build up my confidence before I throw any money down the toilet

>buying '87 fiero gt off CL

pros
>only 99k miles
>$800
>no rust
>comes with loads of extra parts and wheels worth almost as much as the car
>not iron duke

cons
>body is totally sun damaged
>engine hesitates badly (possibly misfires) and i have no idea whats causing it, possibly plugged cat/vacuum leak/throttle body sensor but is likely a more expensive repair
>minimal repair knowledge currently but trying to learn
>living with parents and have no place to store a broken down car or tow it if it kicks the bucket within the next month or so

The sticky implies that fieros are difficult to take care of and become a money sink in the long run, anyone want to convince me one way or another if I should give this a shot?
>>
>>17016286
>fieros are difficult to take care of and become a money sink in the long run

This is why you shouldn't buy one.
>>
>>17016305
Is it really that bad?
>>
Just pay a shop to swap the engine. You'd spend a lifetime diagnosing the issues in that engine especially since you say you have minimal repair knowledge.
>>
Put it this way,

If it was fixable easily, why would the previous owner get rid of it?

If there's a good story that makes sense there, ok. If not, it's fucked.

I'd guess it'd be a terrible choice.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (172KB, 1682x946px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
172KB, 1682x946px
>>17016339
>>17016286

Here is what is up Anon. Every car is a journey if you want it to be, you make it your own. You can either keep dipping only your toe in the water, or man up and dive in. A fiero owner needs to understand a few things: You have to know how to DIY. You have to know how to wire, you have to know how to wrench.

The factory electircal harness sucks ass. The engine sucks ass. The platform is acutally not too bad, and has about a million different easily swappable parts, including upgraded suspension components from a fucking minivan if you so desire. You want a V8? Go find a SS 5.4L Cobalt engine.

You want to go hard and do a longitudinal swap with a V8, and reverse rotate the whole assembly?
Well, that is what I am doing. Saying "Frankenstein" is a cowards way of saying "Hod rodding." A lot of people got afraid of experimenting at some point.

Long story short, if you just want to drive it no questions asked, dont get it. If you want a nice 2-8 month project. Fucking get it and enjoy. There is a giant community for the car.
>>
File: unnamed2.jpg (156KB, 1682x946px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed2.jpg
156KB, 1682x946px
>>17017265
>>
>>17017265
This guy is pretty much right. But if you just spend more money it'll be fine. Also, buy an 88. They have different suspension and it's better in every way. Then engine isn't that bad. You'll still rip the shit outta stock ricer civics and it's enough to have some fun.
>>
>>17017270
Godspeed, you brave fool.
>>
File: not mating.jpg (30KB, 257x343px) Image search: [Google]
not mating.jpg
30KB, 257x343px
>>17017899
>>
>>17016286
If you can afford to literally take $800 and flush them down the toilet for a laugh, do it.
If you can't, don't.
>>
>>17017265
>Go find a SS 5.4L Cobalt engine.
what.
Cobalt engines were 2.0L, 2.2L, or 2.4L

I believe you mean the LS4 V8 which was used in:
2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
2008-2009 Buick LaCrosse Super
2006-2009 Chevrolet Impala SS.

As to engines for the Fiero. He's a beginner. Don't suggest a complicated engine swap like it's nothing. The 2.8L has plenty of upgrade parts if you want.
OP, here's what I would do:

2000-2005 GM 3100 heads and intake manifolds
WOT-Tech camshaft. This is a hybrid setup and these guys are the gurus of the 60* V6 engines. They have all the knowledge on those engines you need and will help you pick a camshaft for whatever your setup is.
https://wot-tech.com/cam-selection-service.html

At the end of the day after this, it'll still be a 2.8L, but it will produce closer to 200 HP, likely around 170-180 by my estimates but there's wiggle room formore
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.