[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You are at a red light. You've already come to a complete

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

You are at a red light. You've already come to a complete stop and are just sitting on the brakes waiting for your turn to go.

Do you:

A) Step on the brakes just enough to keep your car from rolling forward
B) Step on the brakes hard to firmly lock your vehicle in place

And why do you do so?
>>
I'm in n with the clutch out and when the other side turns yellow I put it in first
>>
>>16986158
What do you do when you're on a hill and can't sit in neutral?
>>
>>16986146
go thru the red lite and t bone a family of five at 75 mph killing them all instantly
>>
I do A when necessary, when the street is flat and horizontal i try not to brake and juat let my car atay there
>>
The correct answer is B, and it has every reason to do with the other drivers on the road.

Imagine that while you're stopped, another driver comes up behind you. This driver isn't paying attention and he runs into the back of your car, but you don't see it coming.

There are three things to be concerned about in this event.

>injuries to you from the accident
>other people/cars in the road also becoming a part of the accident.
>damage to your car

In the first case, you are better off stepping on the brakes hard. You can get injured from the accident as a result of large g-forces acting upon you due to sudden acceleration forward. If you are braking hard, you're resisting that forward acceleration and reducing the possibility of injury. Only lightly stepping on the brakes would result in your car accelerating to a higher speed from the impact.

In the second case, you're better off also stepping on the brakes hard. Stepping on the brakes only lightly will result in your vehicle moving forward more from the impact. This could result in you hitting the vehicle in front of you or hitting a pedestrian in the crosswalk in front of you. You may even enter the intersection and into the path of cross traffic. Stepping on the brakes hard makes it less likely that any of these situations may occur before you recover from the shock of the accident and can increase your braking to stop your car.

The third case is the only one in which you may have a reason not to step hard on the brakes. If your car gives way to the one behind you and moves forward more, it's not going to suffer the same amount of damage as if it were an unmovable object. However, this might be negated by damage to the front of your car from hitting something in front of you.

Overall, it's worth it to always brake hard when stopped in case someone runs into the back of your vehicle.
>>
>>16986253
I'm not going to even read that because it's so retarded. Go ahead and do that, I'll be laughing when you get severe whiplash and keep asking yourself why.
>>
>>16986253
Don't you ever look in the fucking mirror when the first car approaches behind you? This is how I know if he's going to crash, no guesswork. Also you shouldn't apply the brakes but just lean backwards firmly and let the headrest do it's job you fucking moron.
>>
>>16986146
Generally A but if there's nobody around and the car won't roll (much) I'll sit there in neutral until the light changes.

One night on the edge of town I'm at a red light on a feeder road waiting to cross a main road and I'm sitting there in neutral and notice headlights coming up behind so I step on the brakes a bit to get the brake lights on. The other car moves to make a right turn and as he gets even with me he says "Yeah, I see ya!" in a loud disgusted voice. I mean wtf?
>>
>>16986264
>I'm not going to read the thing that explains why I'm wrong.
You're not going to get more whiplash by stepping on the brakes hard than you will by only braking just enough to stop from rolling forward.

Whiplash is created by a sudden change in velocity. The greater the difference between the old and new velocities, and the less time taken for the change to occur, the more severe the whiplash will be.

Braking hard actively resists both of those. It makes it harder for their car to push your car forward, reducing how quickly that change occurs and how high of a speed your car will reach before his runs out of energy.

The downside of braking hard is the rear of your car will get damaged by the accident more than it would have, but I consider that a worthwhile expense for the other things at stake.

>>16986308
Of course leaning back into the headrest is something you should do if you see it coming, the point is how your braking affects the accident, and how your natural braking tendencies would affect one that you don't happen to see coming.
>>
>>16986146
Handbrake
>>
>>16986181
Put the parking brake on you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>16986625
>>16986705
For a stoplight?
>>
>>16987000
Don't listen to them, just keep your car from rolling at red lights. In a manual on a hill leave it in neutral and use the car brakes, it's not hard at all
>>
Both, but for different reasons.
Light traffic- A
Heavy traffic- B
>>
>>16986146
C) I step on the gas
>>
>>16987000
It's the first thing you do whenever you stop.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.