[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it possible to make a clean burning reliable 2 stroke? direct

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: yamaha37562.jpg (253KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
yamaha37562.jpg
253KB, 1024x685px
is it possible to make a clean burning reliable 2 stroke? direct injection seems obvious but what else can be done?
>>
>>16984876
>is it possible to make a clean burning reliable 2 stroke? direct injection seems obvious but what else can be done?
If you burn oil in your gas probably nevet. You do know 2 strokes mix gas with oil right?
>>
It's possible, but very difficult. Also, you may never be able to get them as clean as a 4 stroke, but they can do alright.

It's very possible to use a catalyst on a 2 stroke, but you have to be very careful of dumping unburned gas and oil on it. I could see a manufacturer doing it, but anyone who put a power commander on it would probably melt it.

O2 sensors are a pain in the ass on 2 strokes. You almost need a full emissions analyzer to properly tune one by afr. Because of fresh air/fuel in the exhaust, O2 sensors get messed up. Still, it's possible to run closed loop with O2, but the values will be way off from the actual engine afr.

To really make any more gains you probably need to start looking at real inventive exhaust valve designs and such.

I guess with di someone with enough money could try to make a lean burn 2 stroke, which would be interesting, since it wouldn't have the same problem with NOx emissions 4 strokes do.

Also, there are a lot of small touches like electronic throttle that can help real world emissions and fuel economy just a little bit more.
>>
File: detroit_9041.jpg (298KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
detroit_9041.jpg
298KB, 1000x750px
>>16985051
is that how a detroit worked? i know they had 4 exhaust valves per cyl
>>
>>16985067
2 smokes dont have valves laddy
>>
>>16985181
look at the pic
>>
>>16984876
>a clean burning reliable 2 stroke
yeah lots of industrial diesels are 2 stroke they use an overhead exhaust vavle with the inlet port at the bottom of the piston stroke, and really long piston skirts to seal the inlet. these setups require a supercharger of some sort since the air isn't supercharged by the crank case though.
>>
I guess pretty much ktm's new direction injection 2 stroke MX bikes
>>
Some time ago i read that someones developing a new type of oil that would burn so clean that it could pass emissions.

Polution because of the oil burning is the only reason why 2Ts arent as popular as far i know.
>>
File: superior2T.png (15KB, 630x495px) Image search: [Google]
superior2T.png
15KB, 630x495px
>>16984876
Clean - yes. Reliable.. unlikely.
If you want to get rid of the oil you start adding at least 4-stroke tier contraptions if not worse. I imagine something that separates crankcase from inlet fuel might work.. maybe (pic related).
>>
evinrude etec
>>
>>16985716
is it clean? i know they are reliable
>>
>>16985067
no, Detroits only have 1 valve per cylinder.
>>
>>16985467
You can also do this like how Arctic Cat does with their new 600 C-Tech 2, but it also seems like a bit of a mess.
>>
>>16985752

Oops, someone hasn't touched a Detroit.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.