[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/ so the other day I changed my drum brakes for the first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /o/ so the other day I changed my drum brakes for the first time and everything went smooth until I got in and pumped the brakes. Now my pedal goes right to the floor board before the car even stops. Any idea what could've went wrong? They're adjusted perfectly with slight drag like they should be
>>
you gotta bleed your brakes, air is in the brake line.

At the brake there is a little valve you have to open with a small wrench to let the air out. Look up a youtube tutorial for the real steps.
>>
>>16975173
You need to adjust the shoes "snug" against the drums.
>>
File: 1489663159788.jpg (67KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1489663159788.jpg
67KB, 500x500px
>>16975173
I think you blew your headgasket?
>>
>>16975173
You need to get a stick and put in between your brake pedal and seat, then slam the seat forward and keep it there. Then change your brakes.
>>
>>16975173
First thing I would try is get the automatic adjuster right. You just have to pull your handbrake up and down until it starts getting tighter, you'll feel it.

If that doesn't work, bleeding the circuit might be needed, but I've never encountered that while doing my rear drums, just changing the shoes doesn't open the circuit in any way.
>>
>>16976830
Alright, I'll admit. I double checked the adjuster and the brake shoes were quite loose. About 3-4 rotations, so I tighten them snug so they rotor turns about 1 or half a rotation but the brake pedal is still going to the floor?
>>
If it doesn't tighten up after 20-30 stokes, then you gotta bleed.
>>
>>16977702
Alright so I just got done bleeding the brakes and I did notice some air in the RL left wheel after I bled them. I bled each will until it only brake fluid was coming out, but then when I got in the car, pumped the brakes, worked the parking brake, turned the car on, the pedal still went right to the floor?? Any ideas?
>>
>>16978265
Yes, your car is equipped with a brake booster.
>>
>>16978265

Bleed the brakes better. Flush out all the old stuff, if you're opening bleed screws anyway it's a good time to do it. Keep a hose from the bleed screw immersed in a bottle of brake fluid so it doesn't suck air back in. Pump until the pedal goes stiff, hold pedal down, open bleed screw, keep pedal down until fluid stops coming out of bleed screw, close bleed screw, pump pedal until it gets stiff, repeat until clean fluid comes out.

After you finish bleeding the system, pump the brakes, hit the parking brake a few times. Drive forward and backward 20 feet. Repeat that about five times.

If the pedal still goes to the floor after you've flushed the system, and you're 100% certain the shoes are adjusted correctly, you probably fucked up your master cylinder seals.

Normally the brake pedal travels like halfway to the floor in normal operation, or something like that, but it rarely goes to the end of it's range of travel. The idea is that if you pump it to the floor, the seals could drag along a corroded or gunked up section of master cylinder bore, and shred your seals, which could cause weak braking.

Also, that's why it's generally recommended to place a small piece of 2x4 or some other sort of block under the pedal when you bleed the brakes, so the pedal can't go down all the way and fuck your seals up. Probably should have mentioned that earlier, like before you bled the brakes.

Also, if you accidentally ran the master cylinder dry, like ran out of fluid while you were bleeding the brakes, you may need to bleed the master cylinder. This can be done by either plugging the lines out of the cylinder and pumping the pedal for 10 minutes, or by getting some short scrap pieces of brake line and looping them from the outlets on the master cylinder into the fluid reservoir and pumping the pedal for 10 minutes. Either way, by the end of it, you should be able to plug the outlet ports on the master cylinder and not be able to move the pedal at all.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.